21/10/2010

Dear Baby,

Do you know that we never knew if we could have you? Do you know how delighted we are that we are!?

You see, when I, your mommy, was just 15 years old, the doctors found a really large tumor on one of my ovaries. Ovaries are little organs that play a very special role in the reproductive process. When the doctor operated to remove the (8 pound!) tumor, there was no way to save the ovary so he had to take it out too. This made your mommy very sad.

The doctors told Baba and I that the other ovary 'should' pick up the slack, eventually recognizing that the other one was gone. But there was no guarantee.

This, matched with other health concerns really made me wonder if I could ever have kids. Then I met Jesus and realized that my life goals and dreams weren't what really mattered anyways... It's His will that mattered. So I accepted that he knew what was best, even if that meant no kids of my own.

Then I met your daddy. I started falling in love with him right away, but needed him to know. Out of love and respect I told him as soon as possible that reproduction may not be reality with me. Your daddy, who always thought he wanted to have kids, didn't even leave enough time to blink (never mind time for another tear to fall) before responding that he loved me, no matter what the future held. Two months later he asked me to marry him, and later that year we became husband and wife.

A few years had past before you seriously came to mind. With every check up, the doctors found a cyst on my one last ovary. The OB/GYN (that's a doctor) told us that if we were seriously considering having a biological child, it was time to seriously start working on it.

Your daddy and I weren't sure what to do. We were traveling a lot, working in other countries, and our lives were pretty hectic. We had big goals and dreams (including you!) and weren't sure how to balance everything. So we prayed. We asked that the Lord's will be done, not ours. We asked that our goals and dreams be put aside and have His will be done, no matter what that meant for us. Baby or no baby.

Three short weeks after we starting praying that prayer, we found out you were already with us.

Within another 3 weeks we saw you on the monitor for the first time. (You looked like a kidney bean!)

We've been watching your progress Little One, watching you grow with every glimpse we get on the ultrasound machine when the doctor is checking your heartbeat. And yesterday, when you were kicking with certainty for the first time, I nearly leapt out of my chair with joy. How proud we were as parents!

But this morning my love, this morning we get to find out even more... It's the day we've been awaiting for nearly 20 weeks now. We get a head-to-toe ultrasound exam, finding out details of you we can't even imagine.

I've been dreaming about you. And every time I've met you in my dreams you have been a baby boy. Are you a boy? Doña Macha and Baba say you are a girl. Are you a girl? I love you no matter what, but am really excited to find out everything and anything about you that I can.

I'll see you in a couple of hours my sweet babe.

Love,
Your Proud Mama

5 comments:

Q&L said...

baby Scatliff, you have very loving parents!

Ange said...

Oh Candice! I can't even tell you how happy I am that you are experiencing the joy of motherhood. It is such a gift that I know I often take for granted. God is so good and He knows what's best for us. I am just so happy for you both. Praise God!

Sniff.

jat said...

What a wonderful letter....I am so happy for you!

Tiffany said...

Aw, sweetest post ever! There was even a little lump in my throat when I read the paragraph about having to tell Tom!

I am so super excited for you guys to be having this baby, and for the baby to have the two of you! You're going to make fabulous parents.

I do hope you'll share the exciting news when you know it!

Tiffany said...

:)