10/08/2008

There's nothing good on TV...

I remember flipping through channels, back when I used to watch TV. 100's of channels, and nothing on that was worth watching. Scrubs was a repeat, the football game was a blowout for the wrong team, and I had already seen all the flicks on the movie channels. Boy, life was rough.

In the last year, I've pretty much abandoned TV, probably 'cause Candice isn't too big on TV, and she's helped me realize that we've got better things to do than sit in front of the tube. Honestly, other than a few movies here and there, the hockey playoffs, our buddy Peter on The National, and an amazing Super Bowl, I don't remember turning the TV on in our apartment.

But, as luck would have it, the cable company hasn't shut off the services yet in our new apartment, from the previous tenant. I've got basic cable, and the Olympics are on... My cousin Dave is rowing there, so I'm pretty interested. Besides, Candice isn't around so I have no other company. 

But, WOW! You step away from TV for a second, and when you go back to it you actually notice all the bad stuff you were previously accustomed to: rotten rotten language, graphic graphic advertising, just absolutely devoid of value. 

And the Olympics? That's good, clean television, right? I thought so at first, and then had to seriously rethink that notion. Nobody's wearing any clothing! And what they are wearing is skin-tight! Honestly, my wife is the only one in the world where it is appropriate for me to see that much figure. I talked to Candice about this, and we both understand that it is probably for performance reasons, that baggy (i.e. appropriate for public viewing) clothes probably get in the way and slow you down. I don't care, I don't want to see that!

If I remember correctly from my high school history class, back in Greece at the first Olympics, they used to compete completely sans-wardrobe. Maybe it's just returning to its roots. Too bad.

I used to think there was nothing good on TV. Now I realize there is just nothing GOOD on TV.

Somebody tell me how Dave does, please. I'm going to go unhook my free cable. (I felt guilty stealing the signal, anyway.)

3 comments:

Q&L said...

just an idea...read a good book??

Tom said...

Yeah, it's a good idea. For now, I figure I'll concentrate on finishing the apartment move, and cleaning the old one.

Anonymous said...

forget about just the tight clothes or lack of clothes...competitive swimmers and bikers remove their body hair too....all of it....
too much info???