28/08/2008

S.M.A.R.T.

SMART Goals...
Does anyone else out there actually use this?


I tend to be productivity driven. For those or you who know me, this is no revelation. I tend to work harder when there is more to do, feel better when things are getting done, am motivated when there is a goal to complete, and get a *bit* of anxiety when things aren't getting done.

Sometimes being productivity-driven is a great thing (it gets things done!), but I'm not sure you would find it in a health food store if you could bottle it. So, here is a little something I have learned some time ago, you need to set SMART goals.

  • Specific - defined, objective goals. Know what the final product is.
  • Measurable - must be able to measure progress or completeness by some objective standard.
  • Attainable - must have (or gain) the ability to accomplish the goal (physical and financial ability, building material, or whatever else you will need).
  • Realistic - Much like achievable, except with a hint of reality. Need to be willing and able.
  • Timely* - have a time frame for getting it done that is measurable, attainable, and realistic.

{*this one is the tricky one for me}

Overall, this method of defining what my goals are and if they can actually get accomplished, how I am going to get them done, and by when, is pretty helpful. I don't use it with everything, of course, but it becomes particularly helpful when there is a lot to do and I am becoming a bit stressed over it.

I can go on and on about it, why it is a great idea, the hang ups, the reasons it works, how it helps tame my stress levels and emotional sate, EXCEPT, I have to unpack the rest of this apartment, move the rest of the furniture into place, put up some wall hangings, print the best pictures from our trip, buy a photo album (and arrange the pictures nicely in there!), do the laundry, make an extra set of keys, and scrub the floors, tub, and hallway closet before tomorrow at 1:00 when our weekend guests are arriving.

I can hear my husband now, "Um, Candice, are you being SMART?"

Again, does anyone else out there actually use this?

1 comment:

Q&L said...

this seems to remind me of what Tiffany blogged about with 'nesting'. It's not in us, simply human to get things done. Obviously we need a deadline. Like I said in my blog, if I had moved myself to my new apartment, the unpack would've taken me weeks. Of course there is a deadline to get out, but technically I have about 4 weeks to get the place in order. Thankfully Quinn had a sooner deadline than me and set a specific timely(but still atainable) goal.
The new apartment is nearly ready and it's not even Sept. 1. wowsers.