07/08/2008

Home Sweet Home

I made it back to the apartment in Montreal last night about 2:00 in the morning. Took the bus from the airport, because the idea of a $35 cab ride was a little sickening.

Some happy surprises: nobody robbed us, my equipment made it home in one piece, and all of my favorite lunches are in the freezer to tide me over until Candice returns (she made them all for me before she left).

Some neutral surprises: a few scattered pieces of equipment that didn't make the final cut during packing (or we forgot to pack, like the laptop), two incredibly "ripe" bananas and a plum, and a malfunctioning answering machine. (BTW, if you left us an important message in the last two weeks, please phone again!)

Some very sad surprises, too: my wife's flip-flops that greeted me as I entered the door as though she was home and had just kicked them off, an empty echo of the door closing instead of her cheerful "Welcome home!", and a big empty bed.

Yeah, it's home, but it's not so sweet right now. I think it will be good to move out of this place over the next few days.

Miss you Candice, but don't worry about me. There will be only happy surprises when you get here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Save the bananas for JP he will use them to make banana bread!