24/10/2013

Why the midwives?

When we found our we were expecting this time around, I shuttered at the thought of an OB/GYN. I dreamed of having a midwife, but they are few and far between and hard to get in with. Thankfully we found out about this pregnancy FREAKISHLY early and were able to snag a spot at the awesome community health Birthing Center just a few minutes up the road from us. Booya!

So far my experience with my midwife has been nothing less than awesome. She's caring, thoughtful, and is very much into empowerment of women to do what they were designed to do. Verbal informed consent is obtained before they do anything.  And it's down-right awesome that someone answers their pager at 5:14am with a voice of concern, not annoyance. A far cry from the 'don't ask me any questions' OB we had last time.

As we approach labour and birth, I'm excited. I feel empowered and that we've done all we can do give a natural, normal birth the fairest chance possible. I want to 'own it' this time. No interventions, no scheduling, no pitocin... I want labour to start as it naturally should and progress from there on its own.  I know things may not pan out as I plan, but at the very least, its got the best shot possible for happening and for that I am truly thankful.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Glad you got a midwife! I had one midwife birth (the 2nd) and three hospital births. My midwife experience was my favorite. Although I do have to say that by the time the 3rd and 4th pregnancy came around I was kind of glad to just get in and out and didn't feel the need to have loads of time and conversation at my appointments.

I don't know if you have heard this a hundred times before or not, but (in my own experience,and that of most of my friends) the 2nd birth is WAY easier than the first! I always feel sorry for first time mothers. My first birth wouldn't have been much better even with a midwife. Just awful. The second time around - well let's just say the road has been paved. I hope you have a really good, positive birth experience, and that everything goes smoothly and that soon enough you'll be cheek to cheek with a nice squishy newborn!