23/10/2013

Oh darn, I didn't finish.. Let's talk trick or treating instead

Okay, so my Why the Midwives isn't ready yet. Until that piece of work is ready I've got a question for ya (you're welcome, Tiffany).

What's your thoughts on trick-or-treating?

I was at a mom's night out the other night and this topic came up. I was amazed at some people's take... Or maybe more so that I haven't given this much thought at all yet. Opinions ranged from "It's a great way to introduce the kids to the neighbours" to  "I don't partake in activities that encourage my children to think it's okay to accept candy from strangers."

Both very legit opinions that I can understand. Most were. Except this one:

"We go trick or treating for the fun of the event. But I tell my children that's the fun part. For them, as able-bodied children they get the gift of collecting the candy... But they candy will go to a child less fortunate. A child in the hospital that can't physically go trick or treating. Their treats will be the candy, while yours is the collection."

She like the balance. Not a lot of sweets for her precious-es and it's teaching good morals.
Sounds fabulous, right?

Except there is no sick kid. Her and husband eat it and the rest is tossed. I'm sorry, what? I can't even begin to comprehend the morals behind that... And she didn't understand why the rest of us weren't impressed with her balance...

Also, do many people take the 'collect and toss' route? If so, I'm sorry, but what a waste of money! Maybe I'm just cheap, but why obligate neighbours to buy things for your children to collect if you're going to just throw it out afterwards?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

LOL at the person who tells the children that the candy goes to the less fortunate and then just eats it! That's somehow funny and horrible all at once.

Collecting and Tossing is just dumb. What we do (because we all know it's all about me!) is go Halloweening, and then when we get home we kind of just let the kids go to town on it for about ten minutes or so and then we announce that it's bedtime. At some point during all this, or after they disappear, I take out all the hard candy and gum and send it out the door with the kids (usually older) who are still trick or treating. I put juice boxes (which are still a treat because I never buy them) and granola bars and other kind of snacky things into the snack cupboard and put them in their lunches. Then over the next little while when the kids ask for candy I tell them they can pick something after the eat their lunch, or for a little after-supper treat/dessert. When they stop asking for it I generally throw the rest out. I kind of don't really want to just dump piles of junk into my kids bodies day after day so we ration until they forget about it. Then it's gone. And I like Halloween. It's fun, it's festive, and as much as people like to harp on the celebration of the devil - really? Nah. That's just dumb.

Sonya said...

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!
I like this take:
http://troublefacemom.com/2012/10/31/on-halloween/