26/02/2009

Dear WestJet, You (almost) blew it.

Remember when we returned form Winnipeg back in September and WestJet sent our bags off in a different direction than us, and we were super pumped because they offered us a voucher of $100 each if we came and picked-up the bags ourselves once they did arrive?

Remember that we were so thrilled we high-fived each other right there at the service desk, then proceeded to blog to the world that WJ was fantastic? (And now ensure we check baggage every time we fly in hopes they will loose it.)

Remember all the positive publicity I gave them?

Well... I almost take it back.

This morning I was curious as to whether we had to fly within that year or just simply book within the year, so I e-mailed, then had to follow up with a phone call, because this is what I heard:

Clickity, click, click, click click-clickty-click
"Sorry, but that voucher has expired."

Huh?

"You only had 3 months."

Huh?

Ummm, no. We were told 1 year because otherwise we would have used them at Christmas. Then, oh then, I hear...

Clickity, click, click, click click-clickty-click
"Also, you are only eligible for one voucher, not two, because they were for the same address."

Huh?

{I distinctly remember the cheerful customer-service lady telling us at midnight that we were "super lucky, because we were booked under two different bookings so we each received a voucher." (And I did book us separately, remember? Tom flew in a few hours after me on Friday night. We couldn't have been on the same booking.) So, um, what? Imagine if we were siblings, booked under two different tickets and because we lived at the same address, only one of us received a voucher for $100.}

"That can't be right..."

Clickity, click, click, click click-clickty-click
"Well, it says that Mrs. Scatliff was picking-up both bags, so she receives the voucher."

HUH????

"Well, if you'd like to book a flight with WestJet today, then I can probably get that one reinstated."

Oh, sure, let me pick a destination at random...

"But, I cannot give you two, all I can do is give you an 'extension' on the one you have for another 3 months."

My response: "Thank you very much, I appreciate it. However I won't be booking a ticket today, and my husband will be calling back very shortly."



They didn't stand a chance.



We now have a year from today to fly, another 3 months to book, for 2 vouchers, worth $100 each. Thank you WestJet, you did a very good thing.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

If I ever need a representative to get things done for me I'll be sure to call you.

Q&L said...

:) I can recall an incident like this. Seems companies think they can push you around, primarily women. Once you get the man on the phone...look out!

Candice said...

Tom is just *that* good. He speaks with such confidence, intelligence, and patience...But above all, persistence! I seriously can't tell you how much holiday time that man got last year (even though it was his first year there!) because of his gift of gab. He's good. Seriously. It's like "releasing the hounds," but the hounds are logical and persuasive.

Trevor said...

Tom, would you mind calling my phone company for me?