05/02/2009

An evening at the beach!

The invitation went something like this:

love Costa Rica.
I don't love getting older or cray cold weather.
So.....
We're having a Costa Rican/summer themed party to shadow the fact that I'm getting older!

Be sure to bring your summer cloths, as the apartment's heat will be cranked to bring us back to the joys of summer! Shorts, tanks, or anything of the sort is welcome (bikinis, on the other hand, are not!) Remember your shades, hat, suntan lotion, or whatever else reminds you of better-weather days.

Pineapple "margaritas" will be served along with some probably-not-themed food!!!


And so we did, and it was **FUN**!!


We were all in our summer threads, and Tom even projected a video of a Costa Rican beach onto the wall. The 'waves' kept crashing onto the shore all night as we played Cranium and explained the traditions/customs of Canadian 'parties.' It always amazes me when I actually take a second to look around and realize everyone's background. Montreal is *very* multicultural. When I was at the University of Manitoba, "international student" was a synonym for "student from China/Japan." Here? We don't even bother saying 'international student,' because that's pretty much everybody. Here it's more like, "Oh, you're Canadian??? Neat!"

For example, these were the first three ladies to arrive on Saturday; A Colombian, an Iranian, and a Nigerian. {No, this is not the start of a joke!}




Thanks for making my birthday so special everyone!




2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy Birthday!

You know, I never got invited! And I was in the neighborhood too, so I could have totally come.

Remember when we had a "summer" party at Lyla's house and then I got the stomach flu and had to leave early? That sucked. I'm glad your birthday was better!

Candice said...

Thanks Tiffany! I think that was the time we first met, right? I thought you were a little weird for a while after that. But now, come to think of it, we were the ones that showed up with sunglasses and Slurpees, so I couldn't imagine what you guys thought!

I really was thinking of sending an invitation to all of you actually, but then I realized I don't have everyone's e-mail and I was too worried about looking desperate if I posted it on the web! (Plus, if it didn't go well, then I wouldn't have to blog about it!) ;)

thanks anyways, next time be sure to check your inbox!