20/02/2009

i have no sense of direction

I mean literally, not in, like, life or anything. No, no, no; in life, I have to work on following one direction at a time. But that's another story. Back to being directionless...

When I worked for a research lab in Winnipeg, sometimes I'd be assigned to our equipment at the Health Sciences Centre. Although I would get to work with some pretty neat stuff, my day would be considerably longer because of the time it would take me to get in and out of that place. I would *have* to take the same bus and same route everytime, or I would never get in. The same path, over and over, or I was doomed. Even though this path wasn't the shortest, easiest, or best, is was the one that I could follow consistently. When I strayed from that path, often due to grand intuition as to a shorter way, I would eventually land up walking aimlessly (and in extreme frustration) trying to find my way again. Ugh.

Here in Motnreal, metro (subway) stations often have more than one main exit, which always poses as a threat to me. Some, like the ones in the heart of downtown, often open up into large underground malls, which are fantastic if you are capable of navigation becuase often you can get much closer to your destination without baring the elements outside. I once found my way successfuly from the metro stop to McGill, which has had me trying to repeat the venture a number of times since. Minimal success. My latest tactic has been to spot student-like looking people and follow them. People with backpacks must be students, right? McGill is the only major university downtown Montreal, right? (FYI - NO!) So here I was yesterday, stalking these poeple as they got off the metro. In the hustle and bustle they are all making their turns. I have to pick my person, so I do and off we go. We walked through this amazing grand mall, passed food courts and strips of beauty salons. Its so large in there you can't believe you are underground, there are escalators to the different levels and everything! Eventually, my 'guide' finds a main exit and we are up and out onto the street. Some unknown-to-me street. I look up and there are skyscrapers all around. Oh, nuts. This is *not* the university. Here we go again. Thankfuly Montreal is centered around a mountain (Mount Royal, get it?) and McGill perches itself along a long side of it, and this baeutiful location has bailed me a few times. I simply find a street that's heading uphill and off I search. Usually this works. If not, I text my street corrdinates to my loving husabnd who, with the help of google maps, finds me and gets me where I need to go.

Did I ever tell you I was a delivery driver once? Can you imagine how great I was at it?!?! lol
.

4 comments:

Q&L said...

:) Funny. I'm good with directions in Winnipeg, but years ago my brother and I were in Toronto in the underground, thanks to his directional abilities we were ok...I was SO lost!

Candice said...

I can't even blame it on a city...I lived in Winnipeg for years and it was still beyond me. I just don't pay attention I guess. Too busy looking at all the pretty colours everywhere! lol

Remember the time I got lost driving from my Stradbrook apt to your aunt's?!?! I was nearly in tears when you called wondering where I was already!

Anonymous said...

Hey Friend, Phil here. I have been finding comments from the blog in my spam folder, hence there are a lot of people I need to get back to, oops. Hey, send me your address, i'll send you a prayer book from Suzie and you can send a check. Does that work? Thanks again, it is good to here from you and that sexy husband of yours, keep blogging

Tiffany said...

Hopefully you and Heather never get lost together. It could be tragic!