03/02/2011

Resting

Yesterday was quite exciting. Today I need to rest.


Yesterday we woke to the beginning of a major snow storm. (When they call for heavy snow in Montreal, they usually mean it!) Tom took the bus to work, I slept a little longer. Then I tried to get up... And realized something wasn't right. In the same moment Tom messaged me that he'd be coming home at noon for a snow day. Oh good! I thought, but noon wasn't going to be early enough...

I called him at work. He told me to call the clinic. The clinic told me to call the case room at the hospital. So I did. I described what was going on and they asked me to come in to confirm that there wasn't anything serious going on.

So, I showered and headed out into the storm.

It was nuts.

Whipping off a burried car and driving down a slow-moving freeway (with cars all over the ditch) is not my idea of a good time when my lower abdomen is screaming. It took over a half an hour to get to Tom's work, then another 15 min to the hospital from there.

We went to the case room. The nurse that was hooking me up to the monitor felt my stomach and said "Umm... Your contracting. Sweetheart, I think you're in labour."

Say WHAT?!


I told her we were only 35 weeks, she told me that if it's time, it's time. Then she asked if we brought our hospital bag. HA! We aren't even close to having one packed, never mind with us.

According to the monitors, our little man was doing just fine (what a relief!), but we were picking up contractions on the second monitor, thankfully(!!!) nothing rhythmic and they tended to die off once I was laying down for a few minutes. But once I got up, there they'd be again!

They detected red blood cells and lymphocytes in my urine, sign of a possible infection (which could explain all the symptoms). Then the doctor checked to see if I was dilating; I was at 1/2cm... So they asked me to stay a few hours and they'd check me again. If I progressed, we'd be sent home to pack a bag. We went for lunch at the caf, then hobbled back to the labor and delivery ward for the verdict. Thankfully, I hadn't progressed over the previous 3 hours.

The pattern of pain-upon movement perplexes them as much as it does us... We were sent home and ordered to follow simple logic: If it hurts when you get up and move around, then stay put. The doctor told us I'd have to take it very easy, or there may be a chance this babe will come way sooner than planned... and we need him in there for at least another 2 weeks!!

So Tom has banned me to the upstairs (where the bedrooms and washroom is). He went back to work this afternoon after supplying my bedside with all that I'd need for the next few hours. I'm not allowed to go downstairs today (I probably don't want to see the dishes anyway!).

We're going to take this one day at a time, because we all know it's probably better for baby to be 'in' than 'out'.

Yup, yesterday was pretty exciting. Today I need to rest.

6 comments:

Q&L said...

wow, that all made me smile and laugh a little (once I read babe and you were were ok). Rest easy, good you got time of soon :) ...or now. Praying all will work out.

Q&L said...

*off

Tiffany said...

Candice!! How stressful for you!

You relax, let that hubby of yours baby you for a while.
:)

It would be good if the little tyke would chill out and hang on for a couple more weeks.

I'll be thinking of all three of you!

Sonya said...

Oy! Glad to hear all is well! I was put on bed rest with Dillon. Not fun (and quite boring) but you've got your laptop to keep you company right?
Thinking of you...keep us posted!

Pamela said...

How stressful! Kezia was born at 35 weeks but "in" is definitely preferred to "out". All the best as you patiently wait for him to arrive.

Ange said...

So glad you both are okay! Thinking of you. Can't wait to hear the news, but hopefully he can wait a couple more weeks.