24/02/2011

12 for 12

So, they tell me I'll miss being pregnant. They've been right so far, so I doubt they're off on this one.

They tell me to write down some memories so I won't forget. So here's 12, because the ticker says 12 today.
  1. I was nauseous. I had morning sickness for 15 weeks straight. I don't know if I'll ever forget that. I got sick to my stomach every time I got the slightest bit hungry. On more than one occasion Tom had to find me something to eat in the middle of the night so I could ward off nausea long enough to get back to sleep. I would also get nauseous when exposed to humidity. Needed to shower with the bathroom door wide open, fans on, and hot-water turned down low... And I couldn't stand the smell of Tom's head for most of those 15 weeks. I don't know what it was, but it was horrible. The mix of Ecuadorian heat, his head, and the shampoo we had... BLACH!! Tom was such a good sport about it. He tried different shampoos and kept the top of his head away from my nose for a few months. God bless him.
  2. While pregnant I've flown out to a remote Ecuadorian jungle-village, to Columbia, to Montreal, to Colorado, to Winnipeg, to Vancouver, back to Winnipeg, then back to Montreal, to Costa Rica, back to Montreal, then to Manitoba again, then back to Montreal. Then I was past the 'no-fly' time line for our insurance company. I've been grounded. Literally. And it's sure going to suck when the scientists discover flying isn't good for fetuses.
  3. I've had gastric reflux for the past... oh... eternity. I can't remember the last time I bent over to pick something up without remnants of my last meal needing to be swallowed for a second time. Yup, gross!
  4. Our little peanut dances around in the womb whenever he hears music, especially when it's live. He bounces and squirms right after it starts. So cute. A musician in the making?
  5. He's facing my right. Pretty much always has. That side of my abdomen has been tenderized by baby feet over the past few months.
  6. He often gets squirmy when he hears Tom talk. At Christmas his reaction was incredible to the sound of Tom talking to his dad!
  7. Tom hums lullabies on my belly before bed. Most often the baby settles down to listen intently and squirms when the song is done. But there have been occasions when he's wound up and kicked daddy in the face.
  8. I haven't had a lot of swelling. My cheeks are larger but that's, um, not swelling...
  9. I've gained 36 pounds (and counting!) but haven't gotten any stretch marks (yet)
  10. I get Braxton Hicks contractions whenever I walk outside into the cold, bend down for a period of time (cleaning up, shaving my legs, etc), when I stand up after laying down, and when someone I'm not close to touches my tummy.
  11. I have been incredibly blessed from those near and far in preparing for this baby. I can't even list all of the generous things people have done for us! Our church's beautiful Jack & Jill shower, all you gals commiserating with me when I grip on the blog, Tom's cousin from Victoria sending a huge box of (really nice!) maternity clothes and a second box full of baby boy clothes for us, my mom coming out twice to help with the preparations... It's all been so amazing! The 'community raising the child' is already in full swing!
  12. The emotions during these last few weeks. Wow. What a roller coaster! Anxiety, excitement, anticipation, worry, wonder, joy, concern, frustration, strength... But above all, LOVE, over someone we have never met!

2 comments:

Sonya said...

SO EXCITING!!

And shaving your legs? If ever there was a time I didn't it was at the end of a pregnancy!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of this little man. :)

Q&L said...

it's definitely an experience of wonder and amazement!!