16/02/2011

From resting to nesting

The bed rest only lasted a few days... Thankfully. It's really hard on the body to not move about.

So yes, I'm back to being up and around. I've been spending my days prepping for the arrival of our babe: Some days I have lots of energy coupled with a relentless urge to clean (under the bed, the back of the walk-in closet, arrange the tupperware drawer...) other days I sit and eat bowl-full after bowl-full of whatever I've found in the fridge and wonder how I'm ever going to get the energy to put all my dishes into the dishwasher. Ain't pregnancy strange?

Overall, I'm very thankful for the events of the past weeks. If nothing else they've really put things into perspective for me. This baby can arrive at any time now, and it's high time to slow down for that. It's helped me grow a backbone and put my foot down about work. I'm not done-done, but rather more like on 'standby' if a crisis should arise when they are writing the final report (due at the end of the month) and at that point I'll step in and help (if there's no baby yet), but thankfully they have been very respectful of my situation and Tom and I's wishes regarding my work hours. So, for all intents and purposes I am done. So much so that we applied to start maternity leave from the Qc government and I WAS APPROVED!! Praise God. The only province in Canada that lets self-employed parents access parental leave just like everyone else. (However, the calculations are based off annual income, and it pretty much goes without saying that I didn't make a whole lot last year, but the way it calculates out we get a bit more than the $0 we were anticipating, and I am ssooooo thankful for that!) Another reminder that 'somebody' is watching over us, paving the way that leads to things much better than we ever anticipated (or even planned).

That said, I do get carried away some days wishing labour would start (my mom's coming in this weekend, wouldn't it be cool for her to arrive to a newborn?!?!) and need to constantly remind myself that the Lord has perfect timing in everything. So, this morning I've gained a new focus, taken from Psalm 118:24:

For this is the day the Lord has made, (I will) rejoice and be glad in it.

Yes, it's time to bask in this time we have been given! Time for us as a couple, time for taking care of myself, time for resting, time for preparing... And I am very thankful for this time.

1 comment:

Q&L said...

perfect timing is coming!! :)