16/07/2009

Giveth and Taketh Away

Our kitties.

Two out of three were getting better. One was getting worse. Some sort of skin irritation was occurring and the one kept loosing more hair. It isn't surprising for foster parents to find extra health ailments in animals and I knew it was time I called the vet.

What I thought would maybe be an allergy or something, with an outcome of creams and ointments, would have been terrific news, in hindsight.

The kitties are gone.
For real.

Over the phone they were tentatively diagnosed with a skin condition... Transmittable (and easily treatable) to humans, but a real concern for cats. We were asked to bring them in for a diagnosis by the vet.

"So, after the tests I'll come pick them up and they'll stay with us again?" I asked over the phone.

pause

"Candice... Treatment is very expensive... We just don't have the resources..."

Oh, no.

"Okay, so I'll take them to a different vet, and we'll take care of it. Is that okay?"

"I'm sorry, but treatment can take months, it's transmittable... And it's not pleasant for kittens to have. You'll have to bring in all three considering they have been in close contact with each other. I'm really sorry to have to tell you this."

I was shocked.

I felt like a traitor coaxing them into the cat carrier. Those three little tykes went in without a fuss (they were actually purring) knowing that I would never hurt them. Thinking that everything was going to be okay.

I picked up Tom from work, and we dropped them off together.


Uno

Dos

Tres


I'm not phased by having to disinfect our apartment (which my beautiful husband did, so I wouldn't have to find their toys and such), nor that I have, indeed, contracted it.

But I am phased by the fact that these little guys had such a short life, ended by a simple condition that we simply didn't have the resources for. I am phased by the fact that, besides our foster home, these guys have had no home. So please, please, think of these kitties with me, just for a moment? They will be at the SPCA for a few more hours, can you offer them your thoughts, have them mean something to a few people before they leave? They have meant something to me, but for such a short time. Maybe that can be rectified by having more people think about them???





I am reminded to rejoice in trials. I am honoured that God entrusted us with the few weeks of their lives. It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all, and I'm really feeling this. When we reach out and attach ourselves to others, it increases the odds for heart break.

I am reminded that human infants die everyday from simple conditions, with known treatments, due to a lack of resources.

I am reminded that death is inevitable, and it is not our physical health that matters, but our spiritual health.

I am reminded that seemingly 'unfair' things happen, but all for a reason.

I am reminded that it's time to throw the taboo of talking about Jesus out the window, considering everyone around us will die at some point, and we won't always be given notice, allowing a few minutes in the car on the way over to ensure our loved one has accepted Christ as their saviour and offered their life to him (assurance they will go to heaven).

I am reminded that there are those around me that, if they died tomorrow, I would feel forever guilty of standing idly by, hoping my actions and indirect words would prove sufficient... and they would come to me and ask to be ministered to.

I am so thankful for this reminder, for these kittens, and for this trial.



Rest in Peace

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Aw, poor kitties. That sucks.

jat said...

:o( that's sooo sad. But at least they were taken care of by people who loved them and looked after them, even if it was for a short time.

Candice said...

That's for the support you two. It may seems silly to others, but Tom and I pretty upset about it.