04/11/2008

Today, we left.


Last year, November 4th, 2007, Tom and Candice Scatliff finished packing their Uhaul, and said goodbye.

I remember the morning like it was yesterday. It was Sunday, we had stayed the night at Tom's parents and they had a farewell breakfast for us in the morning. Imagine - a house full of siblings(-in-law), nieces and nephews (which I just, just began to have as nieces and nephews), and M&D Scatliff. I remember how everyone lined up at the door, children and all, one by one for a final hug. We drove away watching little hands and big hands waving through the side view mirror.

We drove the truck into the city and went to WEFC for church. My parents met up with us there (they drove in all the way from Dauphin to see us off that morning). My mother and I barely heard a word the pastor said the whole service - knowing after it was over, we'd be heading to a new province. We said good-bye to friends, church-family, and to my parents.

Before heading out of town we had to swing by Tom's old place (his brother's house), to pick up some things we had forgotten. Knowing his brother should still be at his parents, we figured the emotional rush would be over. I distinctly remember opening up the front door to leave, and meeting face to face with his bro. This guy was especially hard for us to let go of. Not only is he family, but also a great friend (to Tom for more years then I, but to the both of us none the less). We had grown so close to him over the trials of the previous year. He was the best man at our wedding, a label he suited well. When we got into the Uhaul truck for the last time in Manitoba, I turned to Tom, pointed to the third seat in the cab and through my tears asked, "Can we take him with us?" The answer was no.

Then, the two newly-weds of just 15 days, drove out of Winnipeg, and headed east.

2 comments:

Q&L said...

1 year already...it's been a long time.

Candice said...

Yeah, it has, but we've managed to be back 3 times since then and are scheduled to fly in again in a little over 7 weeks!