16/11/2008

Being "Used"

In moving to Montreal a lot of relationships from our 'previous lives' have vanished.

Although at times it's extremely hard to accept, some friends are involved in transient times in one's life -- placed there for a reason, and removed for reasons as well. I can point to very specific and unquestionable relationships that have formed in my life over the past few years that have made an incredible impact on who I am today. I have no doubt that these people were directly placed in my life for those very purposes. I can only thank God for what they have done, for thanking them directly (although I have tried) can never fully commend the deeds accomplished and the paths that were laid -- and, although these people were the ones to carry out the job, it was never their plan to begin with.

We can all be instruments to differences in the lives of others. We probably never know when we are being 'used' for greater purposes, but I have become more aware that this happens. It is my prayer that God will use me at any and all times for the good of others and His perfect will. Don't get me wrong -- I am well aware I fail everyday, and that I am barely anything more than a bunch of shortfalls when it comes to leading a Christian life. However, I take solace that the Bible says, (in my rough paraphrase from II Corinthians, 12:9-10) "in our weaknesses, His will is done" (or I would be as useless as they come).

Why don't you let it be your prayer as well?
If you think you're unfit for the job, consider this...

Moses stuttered.
David's armor didn't fit.
John & Mark deserted Paul.
Timothy had ulcers.
Hosea's wife was a prostitute.
Amos' only training was in the school of fig-tree pruning.
Jacob was a liar.
David had an affair.
Solomon was too rich.
Jesus was too poor.
Abraham was too old.
David was too young.
Peter was afraid of death.
Lazarus was dead.
John was self-righteous.
Naomi was a widow.
Paul was a persecutor of the church.
Moses was a murderer.
Jonah ran from God's will.
Miriam was a gossip.
Gideon and Thomas both doubted.
Jeremiah was depressed and suicidal.
Elijah was burned out.
John the Baptist was a loudmouth.
Martha was a worry-wart.
Noah got drunk.



...And think again.



[List found online. Believe me, I don't know the bible *that* well.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,
hope you're doing well in Montreal. It's been a long time. Send me a note if you want to chat - google knows my email.

Chris U.

Trevor said...

Thanks for that Candice. I know God is using you (and I actually believe you are more than a bunch of shortfalls). The list was an encouragement to me.