15/11/2008

Chocoholic



Chocoholic: referring to an addiction to chocolate (wikipedia)

Addiction
: a compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful (Websters dictionary)


So, it's official. If there is a definition for it in Wikipedia, then you know it's true. It's a condition. I am a chocoholic. I eat it when I'm happy, I eat it when I'm sad. When I'm nervous. When I'm excited. When I celebrate. When I mourn. At times it isn't even about the marvelous taste (because there *is** such thing as junky chocolate), I'm pretty sure it's really just psychological at times.

I'll admit it. I ate 4/5 a box of truffles over the last 3 days. "That's not that bad", you say? I've also devoured half a box of Hagelslag chocolate sprinkles (What can I say? I'm Dutch!) Oh, you are not familiar with chocolate sprinkles? They are stored in a beautiful box of goodness, designed to be "sprinkled" over freshly melted butter on slightly toasted bread. The warm bread melts the chocolate, just a little, then the melty goodness happenings complete themselves in your mouth upon each bite. (After typing this I'm gonna have to go eat another...)

Yesterday, I ate 5 slices of bread with this ooy gooy goodness 'spinkled' ('poured' is probably a better word to use here, or maybe 'drenched'?) on top. Yes, this is in addition to the truffle fiesta that I've had going on.


These chocoholic phases come and go. I hope it "go"es soon, or I will be adding a wieght loss ticker to my blog too.

Does anyone out there have a cure? Beleive me, these happening are not the cute "oh I just loooove *enter cliche item here,* I'm addicted to it." No people, I've been known to get a bit scary during cravings when there is no chocolate in sight.




"Physiological symptoms upon withdrawal...
substance known by the user to be harmful."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! Those truffles were suppose to be for Tom.

Anonymous said...

Heard of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?
I try to use it on my clients...you should come down sometime!