29/03/2009

A great, big extended family

For some reason, I find myself thinking a lot about our trip last summer, and the time I spent in Panama after Tom left. I thank the Lord that T&me will be together throughout this upcoming trip, Lord willing, and we won't have to face the challenges we faced last summer.

I remember the day he left - the heart wrenching moment he walked out of the hotel room in David to catch his crazy Scare-Air Panama plane to San Jose, to then catch a plane to Canada. I remember the sound of the door closing, the tear in my eyes blurring the view of our hotel suite, and feeling utterly alone. I knew is was just the Lord and I now in this strange country. But sometimes the Lord just doesn't seem that visible.

I finished packing my backpack and caught a cab to the bus station, the bus to San Felix, and hiked it up to my friends' rented house. No one was there...Well, except the scary landlord that slept in the garage. Yikes. 'Rented' space down there doesn't have the same definition as it has here. Sometimes my colleague would come home to find the landlord in her house going through one of the closets making a list of items that were 'missing' and "Stolen by your Indian friends!" She has gotten in trouble many times for having indigenous people stay in her house. "Your white friends can stay, Latinos can visit, but Indians steal. They are not allowed in my house." Are you serious?

I knocked some fresh oranges out the tree and went for a nap in my room. My two colleagues returned from the field after a few hours had passed. I was delighted to be reunited and not alone...But the feeling didn't last for long. The one colleague, with whom I planning on traveling a bit with, delighted in telling me she bought tickets to Canada and was leaving the next morning. My other colleague was meeting up with her mom half-way across the country for mother-daughter time for the next 5 days. I, apparently, was going to be alone. All of this information would have been nicer to know *before* Tom left, for I knew if he were to find out at the same moment as I, he would have talked the pilot into turning around.

I racked my brain as to what I was suppose to do. This guy sleeping in the garage creeped me out a bit. Warranted or not, he scared me. I had a lot of work to get done and knew I had to focus on it. My colleague was going to return in 5 days, where would I go for this long and be able to bring my work with me???

Earlier in the trip Tom and I visited a mission couple working outside the city of David, they ran a feeding center and recently started a new church in the area. When we visited with them (for two half-days) Tracy, the wife, gave me her cell number and told me if any emergencies were to arise, all I need to do is call.

Was I in an emergency situation? I was a lone, young, female in a tiny Latin town in rural Panama with a landlord, who has no issues with walking into the house, sleeping in the garage. Often after being at the bar for the evening. At Tom's immediate instruction, I called. The welcoming I received was incredible. I told her I didn't want to impose, I told her that it would be for 5 days (!!). I told her, a stranger up until a few days ago and only met for 2 half days. She responded "All you are doing is accepting our invitation to come stay with us. We are delighted to hear you've agreed to come."

My word! God isn't that invisible sometimes, eh?

I stayed with them for the next week, helping where I could but being pampered by this hospitable family and the community in which they built. The experience of living with missionaries for a week was so humbling. The dedication, the commitment, the passion. The willingness to teach and support, and to open their home to a stranger in need. Children would ask if we were sisters (we were the only two white ladies in the community). She would tell them "Yes," we were indeed. We are to care for our brothers and sisters.

I learned a lot from Tracy. I'm in less contact with her than I should be, but recently learned that she is due with her third child in August. When I was there, we talked a lot about being wives, the prospects of children, and how missions 'fit' into all of that.

"How wonderful it would be to see you and Tom again!" She wrote in response to hearing we will be in the neighboring country come autumn. "You are always welcome here."


May the Lord bless you and your family, for blessing others so much.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's a great story. I was choked up a little while I read it.

Sonya said...

It's funny how even though people can be complete strangers, they are like family if your faith is shared. I'm glad you had come across them earlier - all a part of God's plan I'm sure. ;0)

Q&L said...

Invisible? yes! sometimes can be so difficult to trust things will work out...in the end, always does...incredible! Thanks for the testament of that.