26/03/2009

If you don't want to sleep for 30 days

Then let me suggest: A Voice for the Voiceless


The personal impact stories included in this booklet are enough to make you have a nervous breakdown.
I have to hand it to the authors who's ability to write transfers you from your morning coffee and housecoat to the reality and horror others face in this world.
Although I've heard some of the statistics included, never have I felt even a smidgen of their pain or realized their actual situations. In 30 one-page stories, you will get a better feel for this world and feel a bit of its ugliest parts.

To be very honest, I can't handle it. The first few days of stories left me paralyzed to enjoy myself in anything I did. It left me continually wondering "What good is this doing for those in this world that are so powerless and trapped in horrid situations?". Although ignorance may be bliss, reality is what we all need and a good dose of it for all mankind may actually motivate this world to *do something*. This book has invoked a mad passion within me to want to DO SOMETHING!

We are to love our neighbors as ourselves; and neighbors means those outside our own families, to those that are in need next door and around the world. We are instructed to love and care for the orphans and widows. Disgust towards the powers, people, and practices that trap human beings into horrid situations (that often will last their entire lives) will only go so far. One option is to put the book down, walk away, and try to forget about it. But that paralyzes. That propagates. Another option is to let it bother me. Let it remind me that this world is not as beautiful as my situation makes it out to be. Let it motivate me to even do the smallest things for others. For what you do *do*, otherwise would not have been done.

No comments: