11/03/2009

Say thank you, then ask for direction.

When you wake this morning, it's still dark outside. Your eyes burn at the thought of opening, your head already begs for more sleep. Ugh. It's time to get up and face the day. UGH!

The husband shuts off the alarm, electricity turns on the light, you remember you have to pay the hydro bill. The coffee perks and one of the biggest decisions of the morning is which cereal you are going to eat. You groan at the thought of your 8:30 class, hearing the bed calling you to cuddle for a few more minutes, and the rain smacks up against the window.

Praise the Lord, for He is generous!!! I have a husband, amenities, money, caffeine, food, and education.


I didn't wake up to face a day of hardship, loss, grief, hunger, labour, or abuse. I don't have AIDS, have to carry water, scrub cloths by hand, or contemplate whether I will have to sell my eldest daughter in order to feed the family. I don't have a husband that cheats only to end up bringing home deadly disease. He doesn't hit me, or drink our little money away. I feel love and support from those around me, am excited about my future, and content with my past.

I have billions of blessings, too many to count and far more than I will ever realize. But the point is not to sit here and smile to myself and think 'Wow, I'm lucky!', but to honestly thank the Good Lord, and ask him what he wants me to do with it. Because although my morning coffee, daily reads, and adorable husband make me feel content and all warm inside; they have no everlasting value and actually do squat for anyone else.

3 comments:

Heather said...

What a great outlook. Good reminder of how lucky we all really are.

Q&L said...

Your relationship with your husband is an example - to many people I'm sure - of what a Christ-centered marriage should look like. With that example you are already doing 'something'.

Candice said...

Thanks Lyla...But I meant to the benefit of those less fortunate, not just to those around us that tend to have so much already. It's time to reach beyond our own safe circles. It all ties back to your blog about being entrusted with much.