20/06/2008

Plank in the Eye

Does anyone else out there suffer from plank-in-the-eye syndrome? There is a verse in the bible, in the book of Mathew (7:3-5) that reads something as follows:

Why do you look at the speck in someone else's eye and try to remove it, but not notice or try to remove the plank in your own eye?


This verse is referring to our tendency to notice the faults of others and want to help correct them, but we tend to fail at addressing our own faults. However, I must contrast this verse with one in the book of James (5:20), which roughly goes something like this:


As a Christian, it is in your best interest, and the best interest of God and the church as a whole, to help right the errors of the sinful ways of a fellow Christian.


These two verses draw such a fine, fine line that I often find myself left wondering what side of the line I am on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your awareness of your own frailties makes you cautious and I do think that if you love someone it is your responsibility to voice your concerns to them, not just be concerned. We all need someone to lead us, it makes us better people.
Friends need real friends. ypom

Tiffany said...

I think the first verse is also pointing out not only our wanting to "correct" people, but our tendency to judge. As humans, Christians or not, we have this urge to go about judging other people. If you honestly want to HELP someone in a loving and sincere way you can probably find a nice way to open up a dialogue with that person. Let's just not forget to notice our own planks! Self reflection is BIG in so many areas of life. I swear, 80% of my education degree was spent reflecting on my practicum experiences, or on stuff I read. We also need to reflect on our own choices and thought processes in other areas of our lives. And if a friend wants to kindly mention a speck we may have, it might just be worthwhile thinking about it instead of being offended too!

This is turning into it's own entity. Just my thoughts about your thoughts.