04/06/2008

Reality check, anyone?

A year ago, we just recently returned from our Cambodia mission trip. 

So many things have happened in our lives since Cambodia. And it is a real effort to remember how life was there, for the Cambodians and for us as guests. One thing that has really been on my mind recently is the medical facilities. Here in Canada, within the last 2 months, I have had:
  • 3 medical doctors
  • 2 neurologists
  • multiple blood tests, a cat scan, spinal tap, and all sorts of exams and assessments
  • lets not forget about the multitude of upcoming appointments

    If you get sick in Cambodia, this is what you get..

The health care is free, but you have to pay for the food served (approx $2.50/day). This means many, many ill citizens cannot afford to go to the hospital. Think about that. You can't go to the hospital because you cannot afford their food at $2.50/day.

Last week Tom and I went out for dinner: $36 (plus a tip, of course).

Reality check. It's time for us to really take a hard look at what we have here. We complain about long line ups and wait times for our heath care. But we have to realize we live in a safe, comfortable, cared for world, in Canada that is. I think it is our responsibility to share those blessings with others. As humans, we have the responsibility of taking care of one another.

More food for thought? This Cambodian well, which can supply fresh, clean, drinkable water to many families is $200.



Our laptop I'm using to write you this (which is super cute with its red cover and all!) took about 6 wells out of our bank account. Count 'em, 6. And it didn't even have Word on it yet....




I'm sure you are really dieing to hear another...




While in Cambodia, I had the opportunity to visit the slums in Phen Pen, the capital city. Families of about 8 or so, would all eat, live, sleep, stay, study, cook, relax, work, sew, nurse, play, grow up, and grow (not so) old in an area that is smaller than my office. I am not exaggerating.  And, I'll have you know, my office is smaller than our bedroom. You see, what I really like about our bedroom is that it is very roomy and we only put a few pieces of furniture in there to ensure we keep the clean, 'uncluttered' look.



People, it's time to look around in our lives and appreciate what we have and get an 'appreciation' for how much of it is a waste of resources. It's also time to start thinking about how we can share our blessings and make huge differences in people's lives.  No, of course it isn't realistic for all of us to shed everything we have. We live in a completely different culture, one in which laptops are everywhere and eating out is a common occurrence. But if we all shared, just a little, lives could be transformed. Lives. Human lives.  It's easy to just turn off the TV when those World Vision ads come on, but eventually we need a reality check. 

1 comment:

Q&L said...

One year. It's been one year. Cambodia's been on my mind lately. I suppose I shed the thought so quickly when wedding details flood my mind. You know what that feels like too.