25/01/2008

ode to an orange peeler

my wife packed in my lunch today
a navel orange, oh no! i say

oh so tasty, oh so sweet
but have to peel, before can eat

open open silly thing
its peel is very annoying

my fingers can not pierce its rind
failure will mark my every try
its juice will squirt into my eye
the sting will make me cry out WHY!?!!

its zest under my fingernails
its pulp locked up in dimpled jail

this little, couloured citrus ball
mocking me from in its shell

but hark! what is this tricky tool
packed with that which makes me a fool?

brother barrett gave as a gift
oh i can feel my spirits lift

it too is orange but plastic-y
long and slender and pointy

one end like a farmer's plow
victory is not far now

its design is clever, fun
(refer below to figure 1)


Figure 1: Profile view of an orange and peeler.

space age tool from dollar store
to rip this fruit from aft to fore

and peel it in little strips
that tangy taste soon on my lips

that silly fruit once made me scowl
but it's pure joy to eat it... now

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a great tool? Nice poem!!

Tiffany said...

So cute!

And so true, that's why I never really eat oranges, until just recently when I got a free box, and found my orange peeler buried in a drawer! Mine is purple. And from tupperware.

Tiffany said...

k guys, this post is DAYS old. more please!

Tiffany said...

i promise that when i read the latest blog entry i scroll down after to make sure i didn't miss any!