03/10/2012

Socializing.

If there's one thing that's completely detrimental to the morale of the stay at home mom, it's isolation: The feeling you are alone, like you're the only one fighting put-your-jacket-on battles, and convinced everyone else has it together. The solution? Play groups.

Why haven't I partaken before?!?

This fall Jay and I are booked with outings of social nature 3-4 mornings a week. In a few weeks, it will be 4-5 mornings a week. Each day is something different, and I love it. And no, I never meant to book that much. It just sort of happened.

Mondays: Tots sensory class.
I looooove this class. It's all about the kids and letting them be the exploring toddlers they are. It's semi-structured and absolutely fantastic. Plus it gives me much-needed low-cost toddler activity ideas for home. I wasn't planning on registering, but a girlfriend of mine was dying to sign up for something and wanted someone to come with her. So glad I did! It's only 45 minutes and starts at 10:00, which gives us plenty of time to get there and get other things done before nap time.

Wednesday: Mom & tots play group at the church.
A girlfriend of mine and I started this up a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. Basically we come and take over the church basement for a few hours Wednesday mornings. We bring our kids, some food, and spend the time encouraging (and commiserating) with each other. It's been fantastic for growing my relationship with fellow moms-of-toddlers in the congregation.

Thursday: Bible Study Fellowship (BSF)
This one was a stretch for me, but I'm so glad I've joined. It's a weekly, intense, bible study for women. My biggest concern was leaving Jonathan in the child care provided. The first week went swimmingly, the second was a bit tougher... But really, it's been SO GOOD for me to see that he can be left with someone for a few hours... And that doing so is actually a good thing for our relationship.

Friday: Local playdate
A friend of mine that lives about a block from me has a few mamas and their kids over every Friday morning. I throw Jonathan in the sling and take my coffee cup steaming with black goodness and join them to wrap up the week. The group is far more granola than I am, but the change of people, scenery, and parenting style is nice.


But considering tomorrow is my bible study, I need to go to my homework! 

No comments: