16/01/2012

I need to write more down

I read a baby blog recently and thought to myself: What a great journal this mama has!
Then I thought: Umm.... Get on it woman!

So here's a list of what the Jay man is up to as of late, not for your benefit but for mine.
  • He does indeed call me mama. It took a while for Tom to admit it, but he does :)
  • He calls Tom Dah.
  • He's still wobbly on his legs, but is getting better. Although walking is still a ways off, he's getting pretty good at scaling the walls/furniture/chairs/anything to get where he needs to go. For some reason he hasn't figured out that he can take a straight path if he was willing to get down, crawl, then get back up. Nope instead he goes aaaallll the waaaay arooooound the room to get to the other side. Oh well, buys me some time! Sometimes he scales his way to his car (one of those little push/ride on things) and then drives across the room...giggling all the way... He's so proud of himself when he does it!
  • He loves playing peek-a-boo. He'll hide behind the wall to the kitchen and duck out from behind it to look at daddy on the couch... Grinning from ear to ear waiting for daddy to say "Wha!" Jay then bursts out with laughter and hides behind the wall again... giggling with anticipation of doing it again. And again. I love this kid.
  • When he was sick the week before last he kind of gave up on solid foods. Thank goodness I'm still nursing so we had nothing to worry about nutrition wise. I figured he wasn't feeling well and simply didn't feel like eating. Then he got better but still wasn't interested in eating. It escalated to the point that when we put him in his high chair, he'd turn 180 degrees away from us and screech to get down. What??? I thought to myself... My son LOVES eating and usually accepts whatever organic mashed up goodness that was offered to him! I'd shovel, he'd open, mash, and swallow contently. Hhmmm.... I got to the point of tricking him into eating some, but then remembered my dietitian friend proclaiming the benefits of the division of responsibility when it comes to infant/toddler feeding and nutrition so I put away the trickery. I also realized that he was still eating his finger food, just not his spoon-fed food.... So a few nights ago I baked some sweet potato sticks, cubed chicken, and lightly mashed some peas and placed it all on his tray for him to explore... He ate all of it. And has been eating contently again ever since. Yup, my baby no longer needs me (or WANTS me) to spoon feed him (sniff!). Although I'm a little heart broken over it, I'm loving the extra time it takes him and the freedom I have to clean/cook etc in the kitchen while he munches away. Yay for real meals for the whole family!
  • He likes to point at things now to show me. I find the ability for him to comunicate this way with us so heart warming.
  • When hthey say goodnight to each other Tom points at Jay and Jay points at Tom... Tom slowly moves towards him until their index fingers touch. This. Is. Thrilling! for Jonathan. Oh heck, we all love it!

1 comment:

Q&L said...

Cute, I remember Caden switching to finger food too, they love that sense of independence, more fun too.