28/10/2011

Sleep training.

Hello. My name is Candice.

(Hi Candice.)

And I'm resorting to letting my baby cry it out so we can all get some sleep at night.

(GASP!)

I know. I know. I never really thought it would come to this... I always had it in the back of my mind as a back-up plan I never planned on using. But after nearly 8 months of pretty sleepless nights I came to the end of my rope. I really thought my rope was longer than that.

Yes, we tried co-sleeping. Yes, we tried bunking in the same room with different bed. Yes, we tried to meet every single need he has ever had, even during the night. But then I started to crack a little. The great big mommy give-a-thon was wearing me thin. So daddy started taking a more active role at night. Don't get me wrong, he has always helped at night, but he started taking the lead on it some nights... Which only resulted in NO ONE getting sufficient sleep.

I've been praying for more sleep for all of us for months now. Months. But this last month it has been getting progressively worse:

It started with wakings at night every few hours. What could be worse than that, right? We can only improve from here, right??

Then wakings every 2 hours... What could be worse than that? We can only improve from here, right????? Improvement must be only a night or two away!!

Oh, but they weren't.

Then wakings every hour at night... I didn't dare ask what could be worse. I didn't want to find out.

We grinned and beared it, thinking it was completely our own faults because we've dragged him across the country and kept moving in between houses. Surely he'll sleep when we get home, right? But then we remembered he didn't really sleep there either. Sure he slept through the night from 2 months to 4 months, but then that came to an abrupt end. FOUR MONTHS AGO. FOUR. We haven't been on the road for 4 months.

Then a few days ago I got to the end of my rope. I really, really thought the rope was longer. But, apparently not. After a really loooong night in which Tom was up the entire time and I didn't get any shut-eye either because of the drama, we came to the conclusion it was time.


Time for the back-up plan.


Time for the back-up plan I never wanted to use.


We did some reading on it. Tom went out and bought a video monitor. I gathered a bunch of pointers and tricks from experienced moms online. We had access to a large house with no one else around for the training period.

And we went for it. I cried. A lot.

Tom gave me a set of earplugs and told me to sleep upstairs. He's been sleeping downstairs with the baby in the next room and the monitor by his head.

The first night wasn't too bad. Last night was a bit rougher, but still within the range of humane. I covet your prayers for tonight. Oh, and also your encouragement that this works and confirmation that Tom and I aren't monsters.

7 comments:

Heather said...

There are no monsters in this story, I promise. Parenthood is a tough road sometimes but stick to your guns and it WILL get better. I was just telling my daughter tonight while going through a trial of my own "....I know this wont last forever but for now this is my reality and I can't change it. I just have to trust that God will take care of me, however He decides to." I know you may not feel like it now, but you are a great mom. This too shall pass.

Pamela said...

Ahh..I had almost forgotten about those kind of nights! I want to echo the thought that this too shall pass.

Sonya said...

Feeling for you! Praying things improve soon.

Tiffany said...

Not monsters!!

My advice? Ditch the monitors. Shut his door. You'll still here him, trust me, but you maybe won't hear the little noises he makes when he starts to moan and groan. When he gets serious you'll hear him. It's not like your pre-programmed-mommy-brain will be able to ignore those cries!

Just tough it out - believe me, it's better for you, and it's definitely better for him too, to be on a better sleep schedule and to have well rested parents.

Good luck!

Tiffany said...

HEAR, I meant to say HEAR!!

Ange said...

Definitely NOT monsters!

It will pass, you will sleep again, even if it means a little, or even a lot of crying. I will pray that this gets easier for you, keep going and you'll get through it.

And just think how happy you will all be once you are getting a good nights sleep again. Sleep does wonders for a person!!!

Candice said...

Thank you so much ladies!! AND... WE'LL SEE YOU TOMORROW!

please don't mind the crying baby...