17/10/2011

Baby got food. And some digestive issues.

JayJay loves eating. Always has.

His technique as a nursling has never been great, but he's always eager to eat; that definitely hasn't changed since starting solid foods. So far my little man has devoured baby cereal, banana, avocado, squash, sweet potato, peas, carrots, prunes, applesauce, and green beans. He's always delighted to see his little green and orange bowl come out of the cupboard.

The food, he just loves, but twice now he's broke out in hives after a meal. Not cool. I'm still trying to track down the common denominator, but haven't had any luck. Hopefully it will never happen again and we won't have to worry about it, right? Hopefully.

Eating has also wreaked havoc on his little guts. We've been battling constipation a few times now, poor kid. Thankfully he loves prunes and I have a blender that liquifies those puppies in 10 seconds flat. We're going to stick away from constipating foods for a while, but does anybody have any other remedies/preventative measures I could try? (We've done the Q-tip/finger tip thing when times were desperate, with no luck.)

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

This is going to sound awful, but I've used juice. I don't even buy my kids juice now that they're older, but when they were small and they seemed constipated I'd FILL a bottle with juice mixed with water. I think it would be something like 2 ounces of juice and the last 7 ounces with water. When they're little and not accustomed to sugar that little bit of sweetness in there makes them suck it back like there's no tomorrow.

Then you just sit back and wait.

Patkau Life said...

My son had the same problem with consipation. I found that baby cereal is chalked full of iron...that is the problem. I took him off of the cereal and that solved the problem. He went straight to oatmeal(instant was the perfect texture) mixed with fruit. Still filling but no added iron. My daughter had no problem with anything like that. but she had the hives every so often but then I would leave that suspected food alone for a bit and then try again to see if it was the one and nothing.
Hope all gets better.

Candice said...

Thanks ladies!

Tiffany: Tom was sent to the store for apple juice. The kid passed a load before he returned! I guess even the threat of juice helps!

Patkau - Yeah, I've left the cereals behind for that reason. Same goes with applesauce and bananas too now! I'm really glad to hear someone else has experienced the random hiveness too. And especially so because it sounds like there was a happy ending.

Q&L said...

Ya, the baby cereals are a big problem I found with constipation. Altho Caden was never in pain, so the nurses always said don't worry about it. But 2 weeks seemed a long time to go without a bowel movement around the 7 month mark. I think I did the oatmeal cereal with prunes almost every time he had cereal. And then around 9,10 months went straight to quick oats with fruit.