05/10/2011

Self-conscious about my Bloggy-self

I usually have great blog posts drafted in my head; only the fairly neutral ones make it to print.

Sometimes I wish I could be bolder in the blog world. My friend Tiffany is an awesome blogger. She doesn't shy from including a little opinion in her posts, but does so with such style and wit that no one's offended. (No pressure on today's post Tiffany! ;)

I'm always too concerned with offending someone and it hanging there in the eternity of the internet for them to stew over. Honestly, I could probably last all through Blogtober just by hitting publish on posts I've drafted but never published because they weren't neutral enough. I won't, of course. But on the other hand, wouldn't that liven things up around here? lol!

I've also noticed I blog about sunshine and roses a lot. Have you noticed that too? I wonder, how is that helpful to anyone? I guess I'm concerned readers may judge me based on blog content alone because we live a few provinces away from most and they have little else to go on. But really, if they want to judge, won't they anyway? I was sure nut butter wouldn't offend, but apparently it was enough to judge. Maybe I like dwelling on the positive (or neutral) things happening in my life instead of spending valuable time and keystrokes on negatives?

{Side note: I read this blog, the author is fantastic at keeping it real.}

Or maybe it's because it takes me a while to sort through things and my opinions morph over time. No need to hit publish on a thought that's not fully developed yet... Or maybe more like no need to have a strong opinion published in case it shifts over time, then I'd contradict myself on my own blog. Maybe that's it? Or maybe I just suck at articulating my thoughts... This post is proof of just that.

Looks like I'll be sticking to stories, facts, and pictures for now I guess.

Am I the only one that gets self-conscious about their bloggy-self?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I get self-conscious all the time!! There are so many things that I have stronger opinions on, and lots of things that even go against practices/beliefs of people who are good friends of mine. In the interest of putting my friendships over opinions I neutral certain things down a lot.

Then I wonder why people wouldn't still like me if I was more authentic in my portrayal of myself.

I'm surprised anybody could be up in arms about nut butter! Crazy.

I also understand about your opinions and thoughts growing and changing. There are a lot of times that something rolls around in my head for a while, but I know that to sit at the computer and really think about how I feel about certain things, and what that actually means, and then how to convey it onto the computer without rambling on forever and not doing things justice... See where I'm going with this sentence?

I know that there are bloggers who are really conscientious about their hard-hitting topics, and they sit down and work through the ideas and end up with well thought out and well written posts that do a fantastic job of conveying their thoughts and meanings.

My brain is too addled for that sort of thing these days.

Candice, we love you whether you write about nut butters or whether you want to get more serious. I for one promise that although I may not always agree with everything that everyone else writes, I'll appreciate your honesty and point of view - not to mention courage.

Sunshine and rainbows is nice too.

:)

jat said...

nope....as you know well enough! ;)

but it's hard and sometimes very scary to publish something under your real name in the first place, esp opinions and know that people are going to judge you for it. and you may not be able to defend yourself, or explain or even be able to have a dialogue...it's just...out... there. it for sure takes a ton of courage to be honest to the world about who you are and how your portray yourself.

i understand where you are coming from...although i had the opposite issue! no sunshine and roses here! ;)