14/12/2010

Learning from each other

A girlfriend of mine has two small children, a load of work, and a billion responsibilities. When she loads the car up on winter mornings it takes multiple trips from the house to strategically buckle the little ones in, without them getting too cold, or together in the car too long without mom to intervene on fights, or left unsupervised long enough to get into mischief.

So she loaded the little one first (because she can't get herself out of the car seat and go play on the street when her mom takes another trip back to the house, like the older one tends to do), then in go the day bags for nursery school, student teaching material, lunches, etc, then it's time for child number two. But this morning, upon returning to the car with child number two, to her horror she found the car doors locked. So she panicked. And so did her little one who was locked in the car by herself.

And of course, it's these moments when the husband can't be reached at work. Cuz life is like that. After what felt like eternity of trying to get a hold of her him with no luck, she called 911. They dispatched 3 officers who came and smashed the window of her car for her... (Just as her husband pulled into the driveway...)


She phoned me to tell me to always have an extra car key.


I thanked her for being bold enough to let me learn from her experiences too... And that she should have a fire extinguisher in her house.


Today I found myself in a little predicament. I had a grease fire going on in the oven and there's just so much a poor husband can do about it when he's at work. (To his credit, he left for home immediately, cell phone in hand, but it's not like he works down the street.)

The fire was getting worse, and our place was filling with smoke. I swallowed my pride and went to the neighbor's to see if he had a fire extinguisher, because we ~ erm ~ don't. The neighbor looked at me a bit puzzled as to why I'd be on his doorstep, without a jacket, looking for a fire extinguisher. I told him I had a fire in my oven and, although it's contained, I would love for it to be out. (For some reason, neighbors that share a wall with you are more than willing to help put out fires...) By God's timing he had something even better than a fire extinguisher, he happened to have his buddy over, who's a fireman! Both of them tore out his door and into my place... It was out in seconds.


So there you have it.

Be sure to have an extra key for your car, a fire extinguisher for your kitchen, and girlfriends to learn from!




*Side note: Hooray for police officers and and firemen
taking care of daily crises when our husbands are at work!!!


4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Ooh that sucks. I shouldn't mention this after the fact, but there are many tow companies that will jimmy your car open for FREE (you know, without breaking glass) if there are kids locked inside.

I love that you called Tom instead of the fire department when you had a fire. You're so cute.

Candice said...

My fire was pretty contained (but I suppose they all start that way, lol!) so I wasn't 'call the fire department' worried, more like "hmmm a fire extinguisher would be super handy right now'.

I'm actually quite surprised the cops opted for smashing the glass instead of jimmying the car open... Her husband was livid, especially because they had 2 cars sitting at the end of their drive with the lights flashing... Way to make a scene for the neighborhood!!

Q&L said...

good lessons. i learned one with my cousin and her 5 yr old in the summer. He wanted to swing in the "baby" swings with Caden, so she put him in, just with his feet in the seat, then he crouched down so his bum was wedged in it, well, after 10 mins of swinging he was so wedged he couldn't get his bum out. both of us pulled and yanked his body or legs to try and get him out. We were on the verge of calling the fire dept, he was crying, I prayed, and we came up with a way to get him out. It took us a while. We laughed about it after, after consoling her son, and I thanked her for teaching me to not put my kid in a swing when they've outgrown it :)...parent of the year!!

Candice C said...

Wow, glad to hear everything's ok. I'd like to know how the fire started and did you get to use the extinguisher?