15/06/2009

Watoto


We had the pleasure of attending a Watoto concert last night. These kids are amazing... And so are their stories. I cried all evening.

I think Pastor and Mrs Skinner, the founders of the Watoto organization, are shining examples of how one person can make a world of difference. These orphans (found in dumpers, outdoor toilets, on the doorstep, or escaped from a boy's army) are brought into a loving home, given an education and supported until they graduate university! Now this does have the potential to change a nation.

Our church sent a mission team to Watoto late January. The 13 church memebers built a classroom on the gorgeous proporty owned by the mission and the money we raised pays the salary for two school teachers to teach in it. Each child at Watoto requires 8 sponsor families giving $35 a month in order to support them until univeristy graduation. The recession is taking it's toll... Some sponsors have withdrew their monthly pledge, food costs are rising, and the orphang is becoming overcrowded from the greater amount of children being abandoned during this difficult time.

Yes, Pastor and Mrs Skinner have done amazing things, and are a fantastic example of pouring one's life into serving others.. But they could not do this without the help of generous people around the globe. And without the help of generous people, babies are going to have to be turned away. I can't even get my head around that.



And just last week I was complaining about the rising cost of my coffee...

2 comments:

ypom said...

watoto...now where have I heard that before??? "I heard you calling in the night" 1Samuel 3:8-10

Candice said...

I too am convinced they are following you around... Why do you suppose that is???