16/01/2009

New Year's Resolutions

A while back we were challenged to post about NY'sRs. Maybe by posting them we will be held more accountable.

To be honest though, I'm not really a New Year's Resolutions kind of girl, but here are a few that made the non-existent list. Even though I wrote this list a while ago, at the time we were first challenged, I just didn't feel comfortable posting them, but now that I am actually going through with them, I'll share;

1.Exercise!
This one is usually up there on my (and everyone else's) list. But then you see *everyone else* out at the gym (or at least their cars parked outside the gym, because I don't actually get all the way into the gym) and you think to yourself "Gee, it's going to be too crowded in there with those New Year's go-getters, I'll just wait to start this in February when they have all quit." But February comes and goes....
  • Update: We've started! Last week we went to the gym twice and ensured to get out for a walk one day too. Don't poo-poo me! You have to start somewhere. To kick it up a notch, I'm also signing up for aerobics classes, which start next week. What I really want to do though, is get into lane swimming. I got into it a while back when I was in first year university in Brandon, Manitoba. I really liked it. There is a pool like 100 steps from our apartment building and I can go for cheap because I'm a student, but I'm concerned that if we do to the gym, aerobics and the pool, things will get out of control. I think the gym and classes are a good start, and maybe when the weather gets above freezing and my hair won't be frozen solid by the time I walk home, I'll try the lane swimming again.
2. Read more scripture. I haven't been a devote Christan for many years, so this one is still relatively fresh on my non-existent NY'sRs list. Tom and I received a "Devotions for Couples" book at a Christmas gift exchange (one of those steal a gift ones, not a secret Santa one, which makes me think how awkward it would have been if one of the single middle-aged women would have opened it...)
  • Update: The couples book hasn't exactly been opened yet, but I have been carving out some of my alone time to crack The Good Book. It never fails, when ever I read it, I'm like "Wow, why don't I read this more often!?" Hopefully that will happen. Tom and I have been reading 'the message' version of scripture lately, I highly recommend it! The scripture is more modern and definitely clearer. It in no way replaces the more traditional versions, but it is a nice change and definitely less overwhelming.

3. Get involved. It's time to start giving more and doing more. We're having a blast sticking to ourselves and focusing on a few things, but it's time to get out there a little more and lead rounder lives.
  • Update: We're on this one too! We've signed up for weekly Spanish lessons at the college across the street (right beside the pool!) and we are considering the gym to be outings as well. Additionally, we've been talking to the youth pastor about helping out with youth and we've also decided that it's time to start getting together with friends more. Something that Sonya said a while back stuck with me: Guests don't really care if your house is spotless, so don't let that deter you from spending time with others. So, on that note, we've having people over for a birthday party in a few weeks (wanna come??!!!?) Plus, we've decided that it's time to start inviting ourselves over to our friends-with-children places - the Good Lord knows our place isn't child proof so they can't come here.

The challenge - I usually get really excited and want to try and do everything, then the problem becomes that I have no time for my obligations to get done (like the masters degree, for instance). So, although I've also noticed a photography class is starting up at the college this month (which I would just LOVE to attend!!!!) I'm concerned that with weekly Spanish, aerobics, gym with my husband, and youth (ALL of which will be newly added to the weekly schedule) there may not be a lot of room left for weekly photography classes along with our usual activities. I've never been one to sign up for too many things and then drop them because I'm too busy - I'm the one who signs up for too many things then runs themselves ragged doing them all.

How are your existent/non-existent New Year's resolutions coming along?

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

My resolutions? Ugh. Let's not go there. Okay - haven't being spending THAT much more time with the kids. It's bad, I know.

You know what? I'll just put my resolutions update on my blog.

And nobody is poopooing your exercising! Whatever you can squeeze in. University is hard, life is busy, two or three days a week is pretty good, especially if you're going to try and get out more, and help out with a youth group.

Good job! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

good job with the exercising. it takes 3 weeks for a behaviour to become a habit (minimum) so don't burn yourself out trying to do everything at once!!!

:) said...

Good luck with the exercising!!! And the spanish classes....it always helps to have someone equally as *cough* adept as yourself to practice with...

Anonymous said...

justanothertwistcone:
?Habla Espanol?!?!

:) said...

sorry....non habla espanol...except to ask for "dos cervazas" ;)
i'm impressed that you are doing all those classes on top of your masters work!!!

Anonymous said...

When I get bored, I get cranky...So really they're relationship savers! The Step'n Tone aerobics have been fantastic (but I've only gone to the first one though), and the Spanish we start back at tomorrow.

It would be a lie to say that the classes are 'just for fun.' Even though they are fun, they are apart of our feeble plan for when the masters is over. So it's almost like a taste of freedom... I think *you* know what I mean. You're done in August too?

:) said...

Sounds like a good stress relief. I took "zumba" dancing/aerobics last term which is fun b/c the music is all latic dance music and every song has different dance-lioke aerobic moves. and it helped to forget about how cold it was outside....
but i wasnt proactive enough to sign up for anything this term b/c things are insane. it helps that the Boy got me an ipod for christmas and my new goal is to eventually start running again. eventually... :o|

yeah, i will also be done @ end of august/mid sept. my current form of procrastinating is figuring out where i'm going for vacation after being done. a really LONG vacation. :)
good luck with the stress busters! (and good call on the cross-border shopping!!! *jealous!*)