16/03/2008

Palm Sunday

Today, approximately two thousand and eight years ago, Jesus entered the city of Jerusalem riding on a donkey. This fulfilled a prophesy set five hundred years earlier. The people rejoiced at His entrance - fanning Him with palms as a sign of honour and respect. These people, who on this day, rejoiced at his entrance, are the very ones who turn against Him this coming Friday. When things were looking up and life was grand, they figured This Guy is the way to go. They saw hope, victory over their oppressors, and a true king for their lives. Yet, when the tough got going this coming Friday, these are the same ones who turned their backs on 'their king'. We Christians must take an honest look at our lives and ensure that we are not only hailing 'our king' when life is grand, but blessing His name when things get tough. He is hope, peace, and a true king for life. No matter what the circumstance. Every time we turn our backs on Him, we are among those in the crowd who turned their backs this Friday. It is my prayer that every 'good friday', we take a stand against the crowd, and continue hailing our king.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

It's interesting to read your post! It's funny how these weekends turn into extra days off work, family gatherings, food and candy. I'm sure that spending time bonding with family is something God wants too, but I think that lots of times He is lost in the festivities somewhere.

I've been dragging my heels picking a church that I'd like to go to, but maybe you've motivated me to go into Austin early and attend church with my Grandparents this next weekend.

ps - you guys need to sign your posts or something!

Candice said...

Sorry, you are completely right - we should sign our posts! I think the problem is that usually one of us is the 'author' while the other is the 'editor', so we aren't sure who should get the credit. But I still think you are still right. I was the author on this one.

Candice said...

BTW - good points about what this upcoming weekend has turned into. I don't think chocolate bunnies bothered me more in my entire life than they do this year. What is the deal with those, really!?!?

Tiffany said...

Chocolate bunnies definitely ARE delicious, but yeah, they don't really relate. One could argue that Christmas presents symbolise the gifts that were brought to Jesus, but even so, the way that everyone goes overboard these days, spending thousands of dollars on overindulgent presents is sort of losing the point. I remember as a kid reading Little House on the Prairie books, and their mom would fashion a new doll out of straw and material left over from making clothing, or they'd get a handful of sweets that their parents had bought when last in town. Christmas is definitely not that modest anymore!

Candice said...

I love Little House on the Prairie! You have a fantastic memory if you still remember what they got for Christmas. But now that you said that, all these 'little house' memories are flooding back to me. That's awesome! I remember that they got so excited when their dad gave them a candy, it didn't happen often. Its a strange truth to think that in the vast majority of the world, it's still like that.

Tiffany said...

I know! But here it's such a given. Kids just assume that they can have candies and chocolate bars any old time. When you shop at Sobey's they give the kids a cookie to help keep them quiet so mom can continue her shopping.

And yes, I remember the little house kids being so overjoyed because they'd get a candy. Nowadays so many kids don't even say thanks anymore, because it's so expected!