24/01/2011

Sorry, I've been busy blending...

This year (or should I say last year?) my Christmas gift came early, unwrapped and sitting in our Costco shopping cart.

I squealed with delight.

--

When we were living with friends between our time in Costa Rica and Ecuador, we were introduced to the VitMix, one amazing blender. It could make some pretty cool stuff and our friends still loved theirs after 3 years of use. This peaked our interest. Then we tried a few fit-for-a-restaurant side dishes that came out of my cousin's (she lovingly refers to hers as The Obliterator) and we became even more interested in becoming owners of the two horsepower machine.

Unfortunately, these blenders are impossible to purchase used (believe me, I tried) and the price on the website was outrageous for a kitchen appliance. Fortunately we heard that the company occasionally does shows at Costco and sells them at a discounted price.

On November 20th, they came to a Costco in Montreal and Tom stuck one in our cart.

I squealed with delight.

--

Now, after 2 months of (continuous!) use, I can definitely say that this blender is as cool as it was made out to be. In just a few short minutes I can make a steaming hot soup, frozen dessert, killer smoothie, fresh juice, smooth alfredo sauce, or anything else imaginable... And I have. Everything's made with whole ingredients and clean up has proven to be super easy (I was a bit skeptical about this point, considering the container isn't dishwasher safe.)

It's been fun using whole ingredients to make home-made dishes. Probably the same feeling that some get from harvesting their own garden to make dinner. You feel all I. Made. This. like.

I can hardly wait to make baby food!!

And my favorite line to use in response to Tom's compliments on dinner "Oh, it's nothing really. Just a little something I whipped up."

Yes, I am lame.

5 comments:

Q&L said...

cool, their website has a ton of recipes!! i'll have to stick with the blender i have fornow. We paid a good price for ours(cuisanart), but i promised quinn i would use it for baby food (food process or blender attachments), and i did make lots of it too. Homemade baby food is waaay yummier, Caden wouldn't eat the bought stuff, even organic bought is yucky. Enjoy!

Candice said...

I'm sure a lot of their recipes would work just fine in any blender. You should try some, they are delicious (and healthy)!

Q&L said...

i tried the low fat alfredo last night for my Pasta Carbonara, yum! I didn't have plain cream cheese, so I used light Veg cream cheese spread in it, added a good flavour.

Candice said...

Aren't their recipes great!?!

I also enjoy the one with roasted red-peppers thrown in. Delicious!

Q&L said...

yep, lots of good ones and more use for my blender, win-win.