05/11/2010

Incoming!

My mom comes to visit (for a week!) tomorrow!

I have a few things planned, like shopping, and dinners, and Mount Royal and stuff. But she has a few things planned too... Like painting the baby's room, filling it with a few cute things, and making rice-paper spring rolls!!!!

How do moms get to be so cool?

I could do a month's posting on the times that my mom had my back. Growing up, she was my best friend. From times that I was bullied in elementary school, to being heart broken by some boy in high school, she was there. Then, even though we were living in different cities, she was with me through every university exam, first-day of new jobs, and when I received my acceptance letter from NSERC for a full scholarship to grad school. She was the one I would call and pace the floor talking to about this guy I was working with, trying to work out why I was falling so fast for him... She was the one I flew up the stairs to call at midnight of March 2nd, 2007, after arriving home from the most important date of my life. She was sleeping when I called, but when she heard it was me, she said "Just a sec, I'm getting up!" You see, she already knew. Tom had asked her (and my father) for my hand in marriage a few days prior.

She bought me the most gorgeous dress I've ever seen to wear on my wedding day. She came into the city to help us pack the uHual to move to Montreal. (We cried so much that day!) But I'll never forget when I was unpacking in Montreal, feeling a million miles away, stuffed inside the packed microwave was a super-cool hard-to-find drip meatloaf pan, and a hand-written card with my mom's meatloaf recipe on it (her meatloaf rocks!) . So, not only was she there supporting us in the move, she was also planing ahead for those hard moments we'd face once getting to the other end, where she wasn't going to be.

I know that if I tun out to be half the mom my mom is, my son's gonna be alright... :)

4 comments:

Ange said...

Oh Candice, I'm not sure I can read your posts anymore, you always make me cry. :)

She sounds like an amazing woman!

Q&L said...

I really hope you have a great week with her.

Sonya said...

I still get excited when my Mom comes over and she lives about a five minute drive away - lol.
When I was pregnant she cleaned out my fridge, brought me meals, gave me a pedicure - Moms are just cool like that. :)
Hope you two have a great week!

Ange said...

Less than 100 days! Exciting!!