15/12/2008

Growing Older

I will get no sympathy.
None.
I know it.

I know it I will get rolling eyes, "give me a break"'s, and sarcastic "poor-you"'s.
But I'll tell ya anyways.

I'm turning 25 in January.
And this is hitting me.

Hard.


I've been smart though - all my friends and family members are older than I. I've sent them ahead of me to tell me how it goes. Let me know what the road is like. What's the best thing to look forward to. But there is one major draw back to this. If I'm getting older, that means they are too.

Yes, this is the first time I've truly realized this.

It is the first real time that I've had to make some real plans for the future. Oh sure, there are times in the past that I planned out which university I would attend for my undergrad. Then, knowing I would be there for the next 4 (oops, make that 5) years I never had to think of it again for quite some time. Same goes for grad school, give or take. This time it was planned with my life-partner (I say that because at the time we were just merely engaged and deciding where we were going to move to). Then, after we moved on over here and settled in, we have been content in our planned little lives until the end of the degree. Now, the end is near. Way sooner than ever anticipated. Come the end of August, God willing, we will be done. Then what?

Now, I know I've mentioned before that we have been tossing around ideas of where we'll go next, and what we'll be doing there. That research and opinion-seeking venture is continuing, very actively, but I need to let out the realities that this carries.

I'm growing older.
And so is everyone else.
Life is short.

I cannot even start to offer life advice, for I know that every single one of our readers has more experience than I. I just need to let this out a bit. You've all been here. Every chapter that closes, you realize time has passed. I've been quite blessed, I've had things tick along at an adequate pace. I'm happy with what I've accomplished so far, and am very happy with where I am. I look ahead with great anticipation at what may be coming around the corner, all the while really enjoying the ride. It's a fantastic place to be, I've never been in a better one.

But time is ticking.

We strongly believe that we (everyone) have a purpose, put here for a reason, and, if you listen hard enough, you may get an inclining as to what it is. We are trying our best to strive for this, because if we live life for just ourselves, what everlasting value does that have? Honestly. Our lives are just a tiny spec of dust that passes, here for a moment and gone forever. What is the point if we merely live this for ourselves? Pointless, no?

Live life with a reason. With a purpose. With a Greater Power at the wheel. Make decisions to follow, but then, looking back you realize that time has passed. That every-few-year venture means that, at the end of it, a few years have passed, so you better make the 'right' one.

Does this make any sense to anyone reading?


Side Note:
I cannot imagine aging and not knowing God. Still wondering what happens on the other side. Fearing death. I don't think I'm dying, don't get me wrong, but it comes along with the packing of growing older. We are here for a finite number of days.




So, in response to this growing up thing, I cut my hair. Yep, this is my coping mechanism. I figured I can't live life as a grown up with my hair in a pony tail.

There's your comic relief.

6 comments:

Q&L said...

i just had a b-day and thought lots and lots and lots.

Anonymous said...

requested: pictures of new 'do!!!!!

Anonymous said...

And I was your age when I had you,and now your a beautiful growen woman. Life is short, hasn't been just a few years ago that you came into our lives.

Tiffany said...

Picture of the haircut please!

Tiffany said...

I agree too. I turned 28 in September, and I know that people would just shake their heads because I'm in my 20's still, but we wonder at what we've done and where we are going, and how our choices are going to play out. It's a big deal!

Anonymous said...

I remember that feeling Candice, and now I can't stop thinking about 30! Which made me realize anyway, that it's all relative - I overheard a conversation in the waiting room the other day, an older good looking gentlemen said "I'm nearly ripe - almost 97!! Made me laugh, but it also put things into perspective. I agree soo much to do in soo little time. PS 25 isn't that bad, it's 26 -b/c then you actually enter a different age category on most surveys :)