28/08/2011

(don't) Say Cheese!

When Jay was young (like, 1 month old) he had weird splotches of eczema-like rash all over his trunk and arms. I took him to the doctor, they gave me some steroid cream. I wasn't too crazy about putting it on such a tiny baby, but hey, doctors know best, right?

Riiiight.

Jay also often had tummy trouble. He'd moan and groan through the night, and only slept well if he was laying on someone or on his tummy. (GASP! Tummy sleeping!??!) Jay was also full of it. Mucous, that is.

I did some reading of my own and realized Jay may have a milk allergy. I halfheartedly removed milk and milk products from my diet. Then one day I indulged (ice cream and a latte, tisk tisk!). The next had Jay was soooo cranky and had terrible bowel movements with blood spots. I then realized how serious this may be. So I've cut out all dairy from my diet. All.

People, that hasn't been easy!

Think: No milk, no cheese (GASP!), no butter, no cream, no butter milk, no cream cheese, no chocolate (GASP!), no modified milk ingredients (and they are in everything!), no cream of ____ (fill in the blank)... The list just goes on!

But Jay's skin cleared up within a week of my diet change, his mucous went away, his BMs have been the proper colour and consistency (most the time) and there hasn't been any blood spots. Tough? Yes. But definitely worth it.

Without thinking, one night we opted for Tom to use one of the (about 40ish) bags of pumped milk I had in the freezer to feed the baby. The next day, Jay was super ill to his stomach. A few terribly dirty diapers later we realized what the problem was: The pumped milk was from pre-diet change.

Can you imagine my disappointment!?!
  1. We messed with his little guts again and
  2. MY PUMPED MILK COULDN'T BE USED FOR JONATHAN!!

Thankfully I was able to donate it to a family that was in great need of it. I was super bummed we no longer had a 'just in case' freezer stash, but happy it didn't go to waste. (Liters and liters of pumped milk down the drain would have brought me to tears!)

If all goes well, he may out grow this by 1 or 2 years old. (It is my prayer that he WILL outgrow this!!!) Until then, we'll need to be diligent in label reading and ensuring no one innocently gives him milk and cookies because he has the best chance of avoiding long term allergies if it's completely removed from his diet for the next year or so.

Yeah, like that will be a piece of (dairy-free) cake!

5 comments:

ypom said...

he is just like his father and his namesake - you have my complete sympathies... it was a little easier for me because I am not fond of dairy products, so didn't really miss them... Hopefully for your sake and Js, this will clear up or at least not be so severe.. Have you seen or tried the new line of vegan cheese etc..?? they can be quite good and some will even melt like real cheese on pizza and whatever..

Heather said...

Ohhhh... what we sacrifice for our kids. Good for you for figuring it out, though. I don't know I would have made that connection. Hang in there.

Tiffany said...

Seriously? That sucks!!

Candice C said...

Candice! That must be soo tough. Have you tried any alternative milks for yourself? just an fyi, if Jonathan's allergic to cows milk than it's 70-80% chance he'll react to the protein in goat's milk as well....just sayin.
Have you found some soy chocolate?!?!?!!?
Hey, this will be helpful if you ever need to help someone else down the road!

quinnandlyla said...

oye, that would be tough, i often wonder if that is colicky babies problems sometimes too...wonder if Dr's always suggest that tip? my hubby was allergic to cow's milk as a baby too (not now), but he was always on formula so they just switched to soy formula. Good for you Mama!