31/12/2007

I really love...

I suppose Candice and I were thinking along the same lines... We both had a "love" themed blog in the queue. I think hers is better, but here is mine, anyway. :)

I really love...
... This town. It's bright and alive. Full of things to explore, although it may have a few things that I (as a Christian man) will NEVER explore. People from everywhere have converged on this place, so that it absolutely sparkles with diversity. Sometimes you want to go where everybody nobody knows your name. You are forced to tackle something "new", almost every moment. You learn to love the "new". You realize your actually pretty good with "new", and that "new" isn't scary at all.

I love to hear three or four different languages spoken every day. I am beginning to understand that it's a privilege to understand what someone is saying, not a right. I don't get upset anymore with a tv station because it is in french, I feel challenged to learn french so that I can enjoy that station.

And why find a pattern? Why shop at the same place? Every bagel shop here is probably very good! Why should I return to the same one? And there are a hundred paths to work, each one with its own set of discoveries! I am beginning to feel liberated from routine! It's wonderful...

I suppose a lot of that has nothing to do with Montreal as a city, but with Montreal as a "new" city to me. Maybe it could have been Vancouver or New York or Timbuktu. In fact, I'm sure it could have been. I'm sure I would have, or will in the future, love those towns, too.

I really love...
... My wife. I suppose everyone needs a little bit of solid ground. I know I do. And I have that in Candice.

She loves me and takes incredible care of me. She's the ace up my sleeve. She makes the rest of life so easy, like walking into an exam when you know you're already guaranteed an A in the course, even if you bomb the final. She's my miracle cure, my get out of jail free card. Oh Lord, may I never take her for granted!

Because: Can anyone ask for more from a wife than someone who loves you and cares for you? Can anyone ask more from a partner than one who inspires you and supports you?

I really love...
... My Creator. I suppose too, that everyone needs a context and meaning to their life. Candice and I often remind ourselves that we are here to pursue His plan for us, as best as we know that to be. For now, it seems to go through Montreal and Panama; we don't know where after that.

And He has given us such amazing grace. Life, love, joy. Energy. Enthusiasm. Confidence. Strength.

When I remember this, when He is the center of my life, life makes sense. When He gets the praise, my life fills with reasons to give Him more praise. Problems disappear, because what is a problem in comparison to the Ultimate Good? It is when I fall into the trap of selfishness, of self-centered-ness, that things are hard.

***

This post is not to brag, or to lecture. Just a few thoughts that I needed to get down. Perhaps you're looking for a good story, and have no real interest in a list of things I love. Because this may not be a good story, but, hopefully, it will be the basis for a great one.

1 comment:

Q&L said...

I'm so thankful you guys are blogging. it doesn't replace seeing you in person and having a chat, but it sure helps in the 'missing you' part. I miss you both.