11/12/2007

Montreal Myths

Before moving to Quebec, we heard some wild rumors about the “backwards, French speaking, non-Christian city” we were planning on moving to. Its time to put some of these puppies to rest:

1. In Montreal, Christians are hard to come by.
FALSE. We have seen just as many churches and fish stamped bumpers here as we did in Winnipeg. We’ve met a number of Christians at church as well as in passing. I firmly believe there should be more of us here, however I think that of all places on this earth.

2. In Quebec, milk comes in bags.
TRUE. However, you can buy milk in cartoons too – its just $2 extra to do so. (Our milk comes in bags!)

3. In Montreal, you have a huge problem if you don’t speak French.
FALSE. So far, its been terribly easy to get by in English. However, you can’t help but feel a little ignorant for not knowing French, considering everyone around knows at least 2 languages.

4. In Quebec, margarine is white.
TRUE. The dairy industry has patented the colour of butter, leaving the margarine industry to leave their products looking like lard.

5. In Quebec, you can’t use your spousal name.
UNFORTUNATELY TRUE!! You must use your maiden name for anything concerning the government (drivers license, health card, social insurance number, etc.) Talk about a pain.

These are the five that I remember wondering about. Have any questions? Maybe I can answer them from other side of the border.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Very interesting! I can't believe margarine is white...I couldn't eat that.

Bri said...

Oh wow!!! I had no idea that you guys moved to Montreal!! That's great!! I think I'm goig to a wedding in either Montreal or Quebec City when I get home from Cambodia! Maybe we can meet up if you're still around!!

Glad the married life is good. ;)