02/06/2011

thrifty homemaking

A wise woman once told me that when she had small children at home, her husband's responsibility was to bring home the bacon and her responsibility was to stay home with the kids and ensure that the family didn't spend more than he made.

I think that's fantastic team work.

I was also warned on a blog once that cloth diapering may lead to crunchiness in other aspects of homemaking. And let me tell you, it does. In addition to cloth diapering, I also use reusable wipes (cheap face-clothes) with a homemade wipe solution. Both are super easy, environmentally friendly, and definitely cost effective.

Since I've been spending a lot more hours in the home lately, I've been thinking a lot more about the environmental (and, let's not kid ourselves, the economical) impact our everyday homemaking purchases have. These thoughts, coupled with my addition to being frugal when possible, have led to me brewing up all sorts of non-edible homemade goodies in the kitchen.

For example, I love my Swiffer Wet Jet, but when I was mopping the floor the other day, I cringed as I threw out yet another disposable (and costly) mop pad. I thought to meself: I wash diapers for crying out load! Certainly there's some way I can create a washable mop pad for this thing!

And so it started:

The quest for homemade cleaning products and supplies.


I've since made my own washing machine detergent, dishwasher detergent, and a tub scrub. Yay! I've also earmarked recipes for homemade Swiffer wet jet cleaner and an all purpose cleaning spray.

The joy? Most this stuff is made from the same basic (and super cheap!!) ingredients.

An added bonus? I find myself cleaning a lot more (and excited to do so).


Who would have thought!?!

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Cool! Care to share your dishwasher detergent recipe?! That stuff costs a fortune!

jat said...

that's hilarious....my friends have all turned into crunchy granola moms as soon as baby is born...one sews clothes for little ones from leftover remnant scraps she gets from friends, loves her cloth diapers too, makes all kinds of detergent solutions and has her own garden to help with making organic baby food and none of her kids are allowed to eat anything with sugar. it's pretty funny to see the transformation. But so that the world doesnt implode, i may find myself being the bad aunty who takes the kids to mcdonalds when mom isnt looking .... ;)

Candice said...

Sonya: I definitely will after I try a few versions to see which is best!

JAT: Iol!!