07/06/2011

Breast feeding

Breast feeding,
... In my mind, was the (only) ideal for us.
... Was researched and read about.
... Was the topic of numerous prenatal classes I attended. I wanted to be ready.
... For me, was the greatest source of apprehension surrounding childbirth and becoming a mother.


Breast feeding,
...Was disastrous at the beginning.
... And then got worse.
... Was the source of a lot of tears, a lot of challenges, a lot of frustration, and sadly, a lot of pain. For weeks.


Breast feeding,
... Was still my desire.
... Was something I never gave up on.
... Was something my husband fully supported me in.
... Was something we sought (a lot!) of help for.
... Was something we threw a lot of resources at.
... Was the topic of many of my prayers.
... Improved.

Breast feeding,
... Got easier.
... Is going well.
... Is bonding time with my baby, is total nourishment for his body, is comforting to my little guy, is perfectly designed, is amazing, and is so worth all of the challenges we went through.



We are now over the half way mark to 6 month of exclusive breast feeding!! I can now say with confidence that WE WILL MAKE IT. And that feels soooo good.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it!! I had lots of problems with it with Elliot at the beginning. Beginning meaning "first couple of months." There were a few times I contemplated giving up. There was so much pain - and blood! I remember pumping to give her a bottle and have a break from the next feeding or two, and the milk in the bottle was so pink with blood that I couldn't give it to her. Luckily it got better! Only now at 11 months have I decided to wean her off.

Good luck, and good job!

Candice said...

Thanks Tiffany!

I find it surprising you had the most trouble with your FOURTH child! Are you telling me that I'm delusional in thinking it would definitely be better the second time around?

Tiffany said...

My second one was the BEST!! Actually, I had no fun whatsoever with Jordan either. Lots of bloody cracks and all that fun stuff. I remember sitting in bed with her at night and crying before I even let her latch on because I was dreading it so much!

Tennyson was perfect. Perfect latch right from the beginning. He was alert and hungry and ate like a real champ. There was no messing around with him, he latched on and got the job done.

I think with Ellie she was sleepy, not that ravenous, and probably I was just happy to get her eating when I should have readjusted her latch over and over until we got it right. Silly me. Silly her.

Q&L said...

That determination, passion and even anxiousness you needed to make it. Knowing your desire to breastfeed before he was born, I knew you would make it, even tho its difficult and the extra struggles you ran into! Way to go Scatliff's and Johnny :)

Heather said...

So proud of you for sticking it out. People don't realize how hard breast feeding is. Good for you. Now sit back and enjoy your baby boy.