01/07/2011

Boston and Beyond

Last Wednesday after Tom came home from work, we packed up the car and headed out of town. He scored an extra day off for putting in some overtime a few weeks back and Friday (the 24th) was a holiday here in Quebec. So, yay for an extra long weekend!


First stop: Burlington, Vermont.


Burlington is only a short (2.5 hour) drive from Montreal and heading out in the evening meant we didn't have to drive through rush hour traffic in the morning or wait in line at the border with all the other Quebecers taking advantaged of the dollar at par and the long weekend. The evening went as planned, and we settled in to our first hotel room of the trip.





Thankfully, little Johnny is super cool and the change in sleep location didn't change his nightly wakings (read: still woke at 3:30am and 5:30am, sigh). I must say, having a king sized bed was awesome for co-sleeping! J's favorite place to sleep is nestled in beside me, which I try not to do too often. But for the sake of others in the hotel and to ease the transitions of traveling (yet again) I let the little guy stay after the 3:30am feed. I just love that kid.


Next Stop: Boston, Massachusetts


In the morning we had breakfast in bed, packed up the car and headed in to Boston (another 3ish hours of driving). We had heard from some of our favoritest friends in the world that Boston was a must see. And it was!



What a gorgeous city - super green - and it held some shops that were right up my alley.
The Diaper Lab was our first stop. What a find! The ladies there were super helpful and I scored big time on some slightly used cloth dipes that aren't available in Canada. I felt like a kid in a candy shop - I could hardly contain myself!! Tom got into it too... Showing me all sorts of finds around the store. He even exclaimed "This has got to be cutest diaper in the store!" (I love him so much ;)


When he was able to finally peel me away from there we were off to a children's consignemnt shop. Consignment shops for baby stuff is definitely one of my latest crazes. I'm telling you, these places are the best. Good condition, high quality products at a fraction of the price. We found a ring sling (something I was really hoping to come across!) for $15. I just love it. So does J. And so does Tom.



A baby wearing Tommy has got to be the sexiest thing ever.

Next up, Mexican for dinner and then checking into our downtown hotel... The Omni Parker House.

{Sidenote: Have you heard of hotwire? It's awesome. Great hotels for great prices. How else would we end up staying at a four start hotel for less than the price of a Super8? I must say, I also kind of dig the mystery aspect of it... You don't know which hotel you're getting until after you pay. Neat gig.}

We toured the downtown area during the evening and saw the harbour, the TD Garden (where the Boston Bruins play), Boston Common, the USS Constitution, and the beautiful downtown.

In the morning we took a walk to find a breakfast restaurant, saw some more of the city (including the Cheers bar!), then headed out of town to our next location: A major outlet mall.




We shopped for a few hours and after a late lunch, we took off to our furthest destination...

Next up: Cape Cod, Massachusetts!



After checking into our hotel, the Cape Codder Resort (another hotwire steal!) we headed off to Spanky's Clam Shack for some fresh lobster seaside! The place was crazy busy, and the lobster was fantastic.

I've never been to the north eastern seaboard before, and I must say, it was beautiful. The salty sea air, the ocean, the boats, the tourists... It was neat to see the blinking of the boats and flashing of the lighthouses across the dark harbour. Tres cool.

In the morning, Tom and I enjoyed a lovely breakfast via room service while Johnny surprised us by sleeping in.


It was L.O.V.E.L.Y! (Steal a date whenever you can!)


We toured the town and harbour some more then headed back north westerly, eventually making it to the state of New Hampshire, the home of Tom's cousin Allison.





She, and her family, are fantastic! I can't believe it's taken us nearly 4 years of living in Montreal to get our butts down there to see them (it's about a 3 hours' drive). We had a lovely evening with them and in the morning Allison made us a huge Scatliff breakfast spread (with fried tomatoes to boot!). Then we were off again, hitting up some consignment shops in Burlington before we, sadly, headed back over the border to home...

Neither Tom nor I wanted the trip to end (although both of us admittedly were ready to be home again ;).





3 comments:

Sonya said...

Sounds like a really fun trip! Wish my kids would travel that well! ;)

Candice said...

Oh, he had some moments too (like when we HAD to pull over 2.2 kms away from our destination to feed)!, but we figure that if we want him to be a good traveler, we ned to start young!

Q&L said...

yes, tres cool! Co-sleeping is for me too, eventually it has to come to an end, second year, it has been so little, but sometimes is just necessary and who doesn't love to snuggle babe. :) something i'll never regret!