11/08/2009

"Minor Revisions"

In the words of Hes "BAHAHAHAHAHA"

I (finally!) received feedback on my project yesterday. Nearly a(n anxiety filled) week late but, in all honesty, I'm alright with the results. Okay, since I led off with "in all honesty" I guess I have to be honest: It went waaaaaay better than I expected!!!! Whoo-hooo!

I received an e-mail on Monday from one of the supers asking me to come to her office (gulp!) so we can discuss the 'minor revisions' that had to be made. I refrained from jumping-for-joy considering this came from the same proff who referred to writing a literature review as "a weekend activity'. Tiffany would probably agree; that must have been a joke.

So, I met with said visor yesterday, reviewed the (413,612) 'minor' revisions to be made. And yes, I agree, most are minor. I'm not so eager to agree with "...which should only take you a day to edit." Need I remind you, lady, that I am a peon graduate student, whereas you are a renowned doctor in your area of expertise? What you qualified as a 'weekend' activity, I took 2 weeks to pump out. I'm not so sure "1 day" with do the trick. Unless you are referring to 24 hours.

That said, we've agreed on setting MONDAY, AUGUST 17th, 2009 as the submission deadline for my last, ultimate, final, this-is-it, the-moment-I've-long-awaited submission day for my project. That's 5 days away. Double gulp.

But that day will go down in history, folks.

However, the very next day I am to meet with her again and show her a complete, fully drafted/put together & practiced PowerPoint presentation for my big kahuna presentation scheduled for AUGUST 27th, 2009; the day this whole graduate thing will come to a close. THAT day is 15 days away. Triple gulp.

BUT, the fun won't actually end on the 27th. Oh, nonono! it will drag on into late September. Yay! You see, all the while editing my project, making the powerpoint, and practicing/presenting my final graduate project, I am expected to be working on drafting up a manuscript for publication in a research journal.

Risky to juggle them all at once? Yes, I agree. The method to my madness: Get my graduation requirements out of the way and submitted ASAP (before the smiles on my visors' faces fade after returning from their vacation time) and let them think I'm working on the manuscript (while moving out of the apartment, packing for Manitoba/Costa Rica, presenting at the church, running a fundraiser, invigilating exams,...), and actually mostly leaving it to be September's problem.

Yay for dragging things out!!

BUT, it's all coming together people.
This is happening.
I can hardly believe it!!!

I'm so excited. I love this!



I (may) be a graduated graduate student in 15 days!!!!!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Firstly, I'm glad I'm not the only one up at this ridiculous hour.

Secondly - you can do it! It's so close to the end now. Just think, 15 days of sleepless nights left and you can stop worrying. Very exciting.

Hooray for minor revisions!

Tiffany said...

Soon we'll be congratulating you for real!

Oh yeah - and Mon, the 17th is Mitchell's first birthday, consider it good luck!

Candice said...

1) We are a time zone ahead of you. So...You're sick. J/K!! ~ I've been up for a few hours already.

2) August 17th ~ Will do!

Q&L said...

Definitely exciting.
I presume the fundraising is going ok - unless that concern is overshadowed by the other looming deadlines...?
Praying it all comes together in the end.

Candice said...

The concern is not overshadowed, no! But the concern is not the $, per se.

We are just keeping up the efforts to ensure all goes well. We simply cannot sit back and expect people to just cut cheques! lol! The *main* point of any of them is to inform people and have them involved... get them engaged! It becomes a community event, as appose to 'Candice and Tom's' mission trip. As with any major project, it is impossible to do it alone. Networking is huge, and everyone has a role to play. You cannot sit back, not engage, and be selfish with the excitement and opportunity of a missions trip. We have to provide opportunities to inform and encourage support, just like we did with Cambodian fund raisers.

That said, we are planning on running a Costa Rican dinner in Winnipeg in the fall for the same reason. Inform, engage, involve! We want to make this everybody's. Of course, in order to off set the cost of the evening and continue the funding efforts, we will have to sell tickets (like a social fundraiser, type idea), or take up collection at the event. With such major costs in the near future, we must come to terms with the necessity to *allow opportunities* for people to give.

Funding is a whole part of missions. People go on furlough for years to fund projects. Without people's generosity, no missionary can to work. Without opportunities to give, the essential need for financial assistance will go less-noticed.

And lets not kid ourselves, events such as these are fun!