30/12/2011

To Dos

The past few months have been so much fun, so out of the ordinary, and so not routine. Come January (next week!) Tom heads back to wok (sniff!) and it will be time to buckle down, settle in, and routine it up. Problem is.. I bore easily and can't help but think that I'll get a little stir crazy staying home by myself with baby trying to respect a sleep schedule. Staying put... routines...? Not exactly my strong suits. (Oh, I should probably mention here that we've decided I'll be staying home with Jay and not working from home anymore. There. Now you know.)

So I have an idea. It's not like I plan on having a whole lot of free time or anything, but I want to make the most of the time I will have. I have this nasty tendency to waddle away free time wading through threads on Baby Center, surfing through friends' blogs (repeatedly), and trolling Kijiji. Not exactly productive behaviours nor something you can put your finger on at the end of the day and say that's what else I've done today.

So I have this idea. I've started making a to do list of things that interest me and I've always wanted to do, but haven't prioritized doing. I don't need to complete something everyday, but at least work on a project everyday. Feel free to hold me accountable.

  • Sew something. Anything. Read about it, try it, complete something, then decide if sewing is for me.
  • Finish fixing up the white photo frames for Jay's room, print pictures for frames, hang frames. You know, like before his first birthday.
  • Hang polka-dot mirrors in Jay's room
  • Photograph Jay's room once everything is done. Post on blog for world to see.
  • Bake homemade bread. Often. I received the mother-of-all bread machines for Christmas and if I use it half as much as my blender it will wish someone else received it for Christmas.
  • Make and bake a loaf of artisan bread. My MIL gave me a book on it a while back and I'm been meaning to do it for a while. This may be tricky considering the mother-of-all-bread machines is heading my way from amazon.ca
  • Try another smoke photography project. This should probably happen when someone else is watching Jay.
  • Complete first year of Jonathan's baby book
  • Continue to do monthly photoshoots of Jay

In addition to home grown projects, I'd love to set some goals for getting out of the house.
  • The awesome, awesome mom's meetup place I used to hang out at and get my mama (and cappuccino) fix has closed :( So I need to find something similar. Diaper Gym in Portage is just too far to go...
  • The local library (about 2 blocks from our place) has mom/baby hours and activities on Wednesday mornings. I need to get over my fear of being the only anglophone in the room and just attend already. I wonder if they have any sewing books in English...
  • La Leche League meets in our neighborhood the first Wednesday morning of the month. It's free, close, topical, and a great way to meet like-minded mamas. I've met lovely ladies there before, I should really go catch up with them again.
  • Take a photography course. It's time.

How about you? How do you keep things fresh while leading a life of leisure staying at home playing and and napping all day??

2 comments:

Sonya said...

What keeps me busy:

- I'm currently working on a year end slide show. May as well put some of my 10 000 pictures to use!
- trolling blogs!!
- pinterest
- keeping our church website up to date
- visiting the farm (aka Mom and Dad T's)with the boys to visit Devin (or the field, depending on the season)
- In summer gardening, canning, mowing and visiting our local spray park.
- In fall baking buns and sweets for harvest lunches and delivering harvest suppers
- The occasional evening out to Tim's with girlfriends
- Taking pictures
- Neglecting housework ;)

But I still have lots of "unfresh" moments. Great list. Love to see some of your finished projects!

jat said...

lol..... so are these categorized under new years resolutions?! ;)

Im a to-do list aficionado as well....good luck with getting all your boxes checked off! Happy new years!